PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Hey guys. My dad used to have my great grandfathers hunting knife, pipe, and tobacco pouch on a homemade plaque. After my dad passed away, we were cleaning out their house, and I found that plaque. I know a lot of you have your passed family members pipes, but does anyone have their old pouches? Any idea how long they would have used that one pouch for?
I got to thinking about this, while wondering how long my new tobacco pouch will last me.
When I get some free time, I'll post a pic of my great grandfathers.
Pics are welcome and insisted upon!

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
My grandfather kept his pouch in his pocket at all times. Being a dairy farmer it wasn't uncommon to see him sitting under the tree at the edge of a field in the mid day puffing on his pipe. My biggest memories are fishing with him, overalls sitting on a white 5gal bucket. He smelled like Old Spice and tractor exhaust. We'd sit next to a river bank or pond watching our homemade corncob bobbers while he slowly puffed on his pipe.
Long story short, when he passed my grandmother threw away not only his pipe and pouch but all of this army metals and uniform from WWII.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Those are the memories I love to hear about! My grandfather on my moms side smoked a pipe for 60 some years. He has a couple of really neat pictures of himself in the marines with his pipe. My mom would tell me stories about the family ( 5 kids) in the station wagon, going on road trips, Grandpa smoking his pipe, with the windows rolled up haha. He quit the pipe maybe 30 years ago (hes 91 now) but he is very excited that I took up pipe smoking. He threw everything pipe related that he had away when he quit. He smokes an occasional cigar now, but he told me that he would like to get together with me and smoke a pipe or two.
He is the reason I bought a tub of Kentucky Club Aromatic, because that's the only tobacco that he smoked. I myself don't care for the stuff but I want to buy him a Grabow (That's his pipe of choice) and give him all the jars of Kentucky Club that I have :)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
didimauw:
I have my late maternal grandfather's pipe and pouch, and I use both to this day. This gentleman passed years before I was born, but through them I have a tangible link to him, and they comfort me.
The pouch is brown Moroccan leather, but unfortunately the lining dried out and cracked well before I received it. I removed the lining, and use the pouch to hold my matches, lighter, tamper, and pipe-cleaners.
The pipe is a KBB Yello-Bole Imperial briar bull moose which is rusticated in a manner reminiscent of that which Custombilt utilized. It's not pretty in the classical sense, but it IS a good smoker and it was his, and that is all that matters.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
huntertrw:
That's creative thinking! Using his pouch for the same thing, but yet different! Keeping the past alive!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Nice stories. I have nothing pipe related from past relatives as none smoked a pipe. I hate to hear of anything getting thrown away.

My mother's father(Pa-paw) was a kind, simple man. Worked hard his entire life and passed away in 1995. He and my Ma-maw(passed in 1985) doted on me when I was young. I was their favorite according to my mother. I have a few things he gave me(.22 rifle and store bought pocket watch) and I cherish them.

My Dad's father(passed 2005) and mother(passed 1999) I knew best as they both lived to my adulthood. Granddad was a tough SOB(sometimes unnecessarily) and didn't take crap from anybody. But loved his family even if he didn't show it well. Grandmother was a kind tender woman, but toughened by year of living with Granddad. I have my Granddad's old crystal tie pin and a butterfly pin from my grandmother.

Not pipe related, but still heirlooms none the less.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I believe I mentioned this on another thread recently, so pardon the repetition... Someone on my mom's side of the family smoked a pipe, because when I started my paper route as a kid, my mom gave me a little leather pouch to keep change in. It had the dried-out remains of a rubber liner, and was stamped "Jobey" on the front.
Mind you, she never told me it was a tobacco pouch - my parents were non-smokers, non-drinkers, and I once got my mouth washed out with soap for saying "fart-face" to my little brother - so it was only after I purchased an identical pouch myself last year that I put two and two together. :puffpipe:
I think Mom still has that pouch somewhere. I'll have to check for it next time I go back for a visit.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a great find for sure . Can't wait to see the pictures when you post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.