Tags:   

Graduation Present To Myself

(40 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by sittingbear
  • Latest reply from crazyhog
  1. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

Three and a half years ago, I had a midlife crisis. I quit my job at the State of Colorado Unemployment Department, packed up, and moved to California with my wife to pursue my dream of studying theology. Last Saturday, I graduated with my Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree from the Franciscan School of Theology. Next month, we are moving to Portland, OR (my wife’s hometown) and I will begin a one-year residency at Providence Hospital as a chaplain.

To celebrate this momentous event in my life and to commemorate our time in San Diego County, I went to Racine and Laramie, San Diego’s first tobacconist (est. 1868), and bought myself this Neerup Snaps sandblasted belge pipe. I’d never seen a Neerup like this one before...the belge or bent egg is not a common shape for Jeppesen. It’s a good size with a deep bowl. The first bowl smoked like an absolute dream.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the duplicate post!

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Fixed the duplicate. The picture however, I'm not smart enough to fix that.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

well that's the picture. I have no idea why it's coming up as being posted by dmcmtk, however!

...Dave, did you do that??

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Oh my but that is a pretty one! Big congrats on the graduation!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on your accomplishment and best of luck with your new career.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations! As it happens I have a first cousin in Catholic seminary. My own mother was also strongly involved in the Catholic church but left the convent as a young woman before taking her final vows (she remains devout). The Franciscan view of the natural world as something good and joyous is something I can get behind.

Portland is a nice city and close to some beautiful scenery, most especially the Columbia River Gorge. That is a nice pipe that I hope will bring you some enjoyable smokes perhaps in these scenic areas.

Providing comfort and guidance to people in a vulnerable state in a hospital is good and noble work.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Congrats and good luck in the ministry.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Nice acquisition, and congrats on graduating!

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 month ago #
  11. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats on the graduation and life change!

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Best wishes and congrats on bailing out and going for what brings you satisfaction in life.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

A worthy gift for a fantastic accomplishment - Congratulations!

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

As I age (45 now), I have become increasingly convinced that there needs to be another time of life like early adulthood where one is socially and economically allowed the space to learn to do a new thing based on a more mature sense of one's own abilities and interests. Maybe it's not right for everyone, but I would way rather have two 20-year careers than one 40-year long one.

But then, I have a skilled labor job and my body is wearing out.

Congratulations and enjoy!

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on the success of a bold move! I have a cousin studying Theology at a Benedictine University. It delights me that these institutions are keeping the old languages alive.

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on your dream come true.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations to you sir! Well done. I love Neerup Pipes, I own 7 of P. Jeppesen’s work and I’ve not yet been disappointed. Also, enjoy the Pacific Northwest, it’s beautiful country out there! Portland still has some damn good tobaccos shops, Rich’s downtown being my favorite but the one on 82nd St. is no slouch either, don’t let the head shop vibe fool ya, they have a very respectable selection of pipes and tobaccos.

Portland is a nice city and close to some beautiful scenery, most especially the Columbia River Gorge. That is a nice pipe that I hope will bring you some enjoyable smokes perhaps in these scenic areas.

Yes! The Gorge is mind blowing my beautiful! I really miss that part of the country.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As I age (45 now), I have become increasingly convinced that there needs to be another time of life like early adulthood where one is socially and economically allowed the space to learn to do a new thing based on a more mature sense of one's own abilities and interests. Maybe it's not right for everyone, but I would way rather have two 20-year careers than one 40-year long one.

Man, I’m with you all the way, did hard labor most of my life and my body just ain’t taking it like it used to. I went back to school and graduated last year and now I’m working my way into the tech industry as a full stack developer. It’s been a rough ride and I’ve sacrificed a lot but it’s starting to pay off, it’s nice having a desk job after all these years.

And by the way, that is a lovely Neerup!!! I’ve never seen him do a shape like that one, enjoy that rarity!

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thats a real beauty enjoy!

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 month ago #
  20. the85boro

the85boro

Login to Send PM

Congratulations and that is a HOG LEG of a pipe!

Leaves Into Ash
    Posted 1 month ago #
  21. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Stunning, & I'm not even normally much of a fan of shapes like that. Congrats to you on the MDiv too!

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on achieving both an advanced degree in a different field, making a major move, and attaining a job in your new profession/calling. Hospital chaplain is a life expanding assignment. You'll deal with a vast (may not be too grand a word) variety of people and religious beliefs and non-beliefs. As ministers of my acquaintance say, pay attention to your self-care. It's a whole new day.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone! It's been a hell of an adventure.

enjoy the Pacific Northwest, it’s beautiful country out there! Portland still has some damn good tobaccos shops, Rich’s downtown being my favorite but the one on 82nd St. is no slouch either, don’t let the head shop vibe fool ya, they have a very respectable selection of pipes and tobaccos.

Yes, I'm very excited about moving to Portland. I've been there with my wife numerous times, and I love Rich's downtown! I always insist on going there and to Powell's bookstore whenever we go. She knows to just drop me off somewhere downtown and leave me there for the day.

The Franciscan view of the natural world as something good and joyous is something I can get behind.

Yes, the Franciscans have a completely different way of looking at everything. The Franciscan tradition is sometimes called an "alternative" orthodoxy because it's so different from the dominant theology of Christianity. The emphasis on the goodness of Creation and the natural world is only the tip of the iceberg.

Hospital chaplain is a life expanding assignment. You'll deal with a vast (may not be too grand a word) variety of people and religious beliefs and non-beliefs. As ministers of my acquaintance say, pay attention to your self-care. It's a whole new day.

I agree, self-care will be the challenge. Last summer I was a chaplain intern at St. Joseph's Hospital in Orange, CA. Coming from the private/government sector, I have always tried to maximize my production. Chaplaincy is a totally different animal. I was pushing it too hard, trying to see as many people as possible, and by the end of the summer I was already beginning to feel burnout. Learning to step back and recharge my batteries will probably be my biggest challenge.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best wishes on your new calling. Your celebratory pipe was well chosen.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  25. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

Man, I’m with you all the way, did hard labor most of my life and my body just ain’t taking it like it used to. I went back to school and graduated last year and now I’m working my way into the tech industry as a full stack developer. It’s been a rough ride and I’ve sacrificed a lot but it’s starting to pay off, it’s nice having a desk job after all these years.

Not to derail the thread, but I will congratulate you too for a similar accomplishment. You may buy yourself a nice pipe, as that seems to be the appropriate award.

I am about to go back to school myself. I'll stay in my industry, but I'm going to learn how to program and operate the robot that was probably going to replace me one day anyway.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always admired the Franciscans and their perspective ... congratulations on your achievement and best wishes to you on your new mission. Beautiful pipe, too, by the way ...

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

Congrats on the pipe and the degree. I am well past mid-life but, I remember that “crisis” period and going back to finish my degree. I have much respect for people, that take life risks that, are not simply done for monetary reasons. Good luck with the new path!

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 1 month ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats on your new endeavor. That pipe is nicely done.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  29. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love stories like this. Someone who has the courage to call it quits, move to another state and basically start fresh. Congratulations on the degree, the move and new career. Best of luck.

Oh yeah...enjoy that new pipe!

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I am about to go back to school myself. I'll stay in my industry, but I'm going to learn how to program and operate the robot that was probably going to replace me one day anyway.

Good luck, chillucky!

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

Thanks, sittingbear! It's just an 8 class certificate program. Nothing like a master's degree. Maybe I'll just get a cob when I finish.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

celticbrewer

Login to Send PM

Warmest congrats! I work with chaplains in the ICU fairly frequently - the impact you will make on so many peoples' lives will be profound - also awesome pipe

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh Powell’s Bookstore is amazing! I helped open up a restaurant right down the street from there so I spent a lot of time there. I found one of Alfred Dunhill’s rare books for a good price. For those that have never been to Powell’s, this bookstore takes up a whole downtown block and it’s two stories! If that’s not enough they have another store across the street. It’s silly ridiculous but so awesome.

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to derail the thread, but I will congratulate you too for a similar accomplishment. You may buy yourself a nice pipe, as that seems to be the appropriate award.

Haha, thank you, sir! And good on you for taking that first step at changing your life for the better, it can be scary but it can be done and it’s never to late!

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

Congratulations, sittingbear--that's a very cool life move. At age 51 and being at the same place since age 23, I can certainly identify with the desire to shake things up.

I don't know a great deal about the Franciscans, but I do enjoy Christian apologetics. Have you read Chesterton's biography of St. Francis? Great stuff.

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I don't know a great deal about the Franciscans, but I do enjoy Christian apologetics. Have you read Chesterton's biography of St. Francis? Great stuff.

Years ago. I love Chesterton, he's classic! I may be due for a re-read...

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

Yep, Chesterton, Lewis and Tolkien opened my eyes to Christianity.

And as far as the latter two, to pipe smoking as well!

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. jmsmitty6

jmsmitty6

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on finishing your degree and your career change. I underwent a career change myself several years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I became a nurse and I can tell you from first hand experience that (even though I am agnostic) chaplains in hospitals do amazing work. I'm sure you will bring light into a very dark world for many patients, family members and the people that work at the hospital. Congratulations on the pipe as well

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop smoking my pipe
    Posted 1 month ago #
  40. crazyhog

crazyhog

Login to Send PM

Very well done on both counts. Congrats!

"I yam what I yam."
    Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg, buzkirk