PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Glad you got it. Many would have smoked it as is and thought it was a good deal. You have a real showpiece there.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks fellas. I fired it up for the first time during the big fight last night. Smoked like a champ and lasted longer than McGregor.
@anthony
I made a custom color with Fiebings. Starting with dark brown. Waited 24 hours then wetsanded. Then added orange with just a smidge of burgundy. Waited 24 hours and dry sanded.

Jan 8, 2013
@anthony
I made a custom color with Fiebings. Starting with dark brown. Waited 24 hours then wetsanded. Then added orange with just a smidge of burgundy. Waited 24 hours and dry sanded.
Ah! It's the orange that's grabbing me then. It's a very warm stain color you achieved, and I'm loving it. Well done :clap:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Absolutely gorgeous. Usually when people say something looks better than the day it left the factory it's mere hyperbole. This time it's 100% true!
Incidentally, I've got pretty much the same pipe here that I use for a travel pipe. The problem is, I can't get the stem off. It turns both directions but doesn't come off. I have no idea what's going on. Is yours a push stem or is there a some sort of ajustomatic thing going on? It hasn't been a problem because I can still pass a pipe cleaner all the way through to the bowl, but I'd sure like to know.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dave:
Damn, you like hitting the long ball, don't you?
Here's a few questions and maybe an opinion.
1. How old is this pipe?

2. How grungy was it?

3. How did you know that beautiful grain was lurking under the surface? You're too good to SWAG this.

4. Any fills?
All of my DGs have been 30 plus years old with nary a fill. Several were rusticated, to be sure, but all the smooth finishes had no putty.
Why does DG commit to the ugly ass red stain when they could really catch a smoker's eye - in addition to charging more kale - for something this lovely? I'm sure it's all economies of scale. In fact, just a spitball guess, how many hours do you have on this Zulu?
As always, a loyal customer and long time admirer of your skill set, brother.
Fnord

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
@ Dave....
Nic refinishing job. You turned that sow's ear into a silk purse.
You mention in your post that you used a combination of Fiebings dyes to stain your pipe.....mentioning that you added orange and burgundy...etc.
Is "orange" and "burgundy" the actual name that Fiebings uses on the label of the dyes. Just curious.
Are Fiebings leather dyes, alcohol based?
Thanks for sharing your methods. Interesting.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.