PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Hi everybody.

I am new to this hobby, and thinking about buying a "grab bag" of MM pipes.

Can anybody, who purchased those before, tell me what kinds of pipes did you get?

Just wondering if I might end up with bunch of "seconds" mini- pipes, that sold @$3 "unblemished"

Or am I worry for nothing...

Thank you, kindly

May 4, 2015
In my opinion, the MM grab bag is the best deal in the pipe smoking world. You get ten smokable pipes that you can dedicate to different types of blends, you get a variety of sizes so you can find what types of tobacco smokes better in different size pipes for you (I write with a sharpie on the bottom of my shanks "latakia/vaper/aro/burley" - all for $30 bucks.
In my experience, you'll get 6-7 legends (small/medium bowls) in different shapes - some straight some bent. That's what they make the most of, so it makes sense that's what they'll have the most 2nds of. You'll get ~2 small pipes like the Mizzou or the Huck Finn and ~2 of their "higher-end" bowls like the Patriot/Country Gent/Great Dane. They're no guarantee of course, but something like that is likely. You'll likely not get the better danish bits on them, or if you get one of their churchwarden Cobbit bowls, you'll probably just get a regular filter stem with it. They do come with filters if that's standard for that model.
100% recommend this purchase. Many of the pipes, you can't even discern why the pipe was rejected, and I've not gotten any non-functional pipes.
If you do get a bag, make sure you update on your thoughts!!!
My last bag included:
1 Wizard Cobbit (regular bent stem)

1 Great Dane Egg

6 Legends (4 straight 5th ave, 2 bent Rob Roy)

1 Pony Express

1 Mizzou

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Corncobs are the mostly underrated pipe out there. an if they are mm cobs like the other members suggested dedicate them to certain blends an enjoy them .

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I ordered a grab bag a couple of years back when I was just starting out, and I concur that it's a great deal. I wound up with a couple of Diplomats (one Apple, one 5th Avenue), several Legends (bent and straight, mostly Flat), a Great Dane sized monster that had been shaped like a Diplomat Apple, a Mizzou and a couple of Pony Express.
I have yet to hear a customer service horror story involving Missouri Meerschaum. I haven't gone trawling for one, admittedly, but that says something. The worst thing I've heard so far is that they ran short on the larger cobs during a drought, and it was hard to get a Great Dane for a little while..

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I recently purchased an MM grab bag and it came with a good variety of pipes. I was pleased and would/will order another bag in the future. :puffy:

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I got a grab bag about a month ago, and got a Country Gentleman straight (my current favorite pipe), Wizard cobbit with a regular bent stem, 2 MO Prides and 6 Legends, some bent and straight. One of my Legends had a hole in the bottom and two others were very spongy, so in reality I got 7 truly smokeable pipes. Still a good deal, and got to see what I like and what I don't, but I personally won't order another bag. Some of the "defects" I noticed were a few chips on the outside, and most of the stems were crooked to a greater or lesser extent. Hope your bag is as good or better!

May 4, 2015
If you receive ones with straight up holes in them and they are physically unsmokable, MM will replace from what I've heard. They are billed as 10 functional pipes, so it you receive any less, they will make it right. Their customer service is first rate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it's the best deal in pipedom. The only down side is that it plays down the excellence of the MM cob, like cheaper by the dozen. I've bought my cobs individually, and it's been worth the few bucks more. I like the selection process. Then my wife gave me a freehand for Christmas, great big bowl, what a pipe!

May 4, 2015
I've bought my cobs individually, and it's been worth the few bucks more.
Totally worth it! I am pretty drawn in by the surprise factor though. It's like buying an auction storage shed. Those one or two items you weren't expecting that make the whole thing worth the purchase price. The rest is just gravy!

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Haven't done a grabbag yet, don't care for the legends. TETO
Now my Freehands.. Great smokes, the 'nekked' does get the nod more often then the stained. I am just about to put a flake and a half of bulk SG Balken Flake into the nekked, good for over an hour, very little dottle.
SP.com sells the nekked for 24 bucks. The picture has the vulc bit, who knows what will ship, but 24 is a great price none the less. I thinking of bashing two together to create a monster reverse calabash...

May 4, 2015
I don't want to speak for James here, but... Because $10 bucks cheaper?
I get the grab bags directly from MM because it's like a wholesale deal. I like to support "middle men" or retailers otherwise though. Everyone gets a taste. Manufacturers selling wholesale and retail has always bugged me a bit. Probaby my sales background. I never liked competing directly with one of my suppliers.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
All my cobs have come from the local B&M, Aristocob and MM factory. I was listing what I have found to be the lowest priced. Not saying SP.com hasn't got loads of my cash and yes, two freehands are sitting in my SP cart Now what is the threshold for free shipping again :)

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
My bag of seconds arrived today! In a rocker in the porch enjoying Virginia flake in one as I type! I'd do it again...if I burn through these before I reach 100 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.