PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
You dun need a picture, it is brass with yellow bamboo and looks like every other 7" kiseru on the market today. Plus I don't have a camera anyway.
Anyway onwards -- I got it today and tried smoking a bit of cigarette tobacco in it --- don't do this in a pipe, truly dual-purpose blends are a myth, and real cigarette tobacco should never go near a normal pipe if for no other reason than it lacks flavour and is too dry --- anyway I did it regardless and found it to be a very good (and very brief) experience. The small bowl, tiny actually, about the size of a small pea, is made out of metal that heat up quickly and keeps the tobacco cool enough to be enjoyed despite how dry it is -- and seems to seriously smooth out the flavour. Moreover it picks up a bit of the flavour from the bamboo and makes it quite nice if I do say so.
I wouldn't suggest putting multiple blends in these things, they REALLY need to be specialized, and one strong tobacco will render the pipe virtually useless for anything else. Though you could always replace the bamboo.
Once can also use it as a cigarette holder if you cut it into thirds, and this seemed enjoyable enough, but lost a lot of the advantages of the kiseru (no paper to taste at all, and even the best papers detract from tobacco's flavour) in favour of significantly longer smoking time.
However, I still feel I need something with a helluva lot bigger kick to get any use out of this thing. . .apart from using it to measure snifters of snuff (just the perfect size for one nostril) anyway. With that in mind I've ironically turned to a snuff tobacco company to get my hand on some Thuoc Lau (is to Vietname what Koiki is to Japan -- and we can still get it stateside). . . I also managed to hunt down a lead on some Koiki, but its time-sensitive (a friend is actually going to the damned country) and I'll get it sometime late February or early March if things go smoothly.
I'll update with hows those smoke when the time comes, but for now I just wanted to say the kiseru has an interesting effect on the flavour of tobacco, and it might be worth looking into (if you've the materials and equipment) to make your own with a larger bowl. .. say .25-35 deep and only wide enough to be able to fit in the tamper. Much bigger than that and I think the metal would get too damned hot, though my thermal-dynamics are a bit rusty heh heh. Like I said you'd have to specialize it for a particular blend, but that may not be such a bad idea in this case.
Of course we all know this topic is really just about me getting the first part of my 2-part process of -finally- trying some koiki (I told you people I'd get my hands on some if it was the death of me) if only for the sake of curiosity -- and I'm excited to see the plan move forward heh heh.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
looks like something i smoked in early 70`s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfCMlVqcXlQ

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
that vid was one of my first introductions to the kiseru heh heh.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Well as I said -- it makes it possible to smoke cigarette tobacco with a pipe and it smokes that very well -- I tried a sweeter, milder blend to avoid making it premanantly taste like it, Mild burley tastes great in it. In a lot of ways the Kiseru is like a clay as far as taste goes -- but since it is metal and bamboo there is no slight clay taste, instead a very slight sweetness from th ebamboo makes it in seriously, it is very good.
I would -love- to try one with a slightly larger bowl that could last through a 5 or 10 minute smoke with pipe tobacco.
quite looking forward to giving the koiki tobacco a try.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I always figured they were a two to three minute smoke.

Not much more than that.

I am probably correct in assuming that it is not a pipe you should smoke in a car, much less carry in a car. The local constabulary may not percieve it as a tobacco pipe, even though that is what it is.
Thanks for the info Your.

I am considering one, just for the hell of it.
I may make use of it while I make use of my Ibrik.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Really unless you're planning on getting koiki (which needs a rather small bowl) there's not a good reason to get a kiseru because of their size. .. or lack thereof. And the smoke lasts maybe 2 minutes for me, perhaps less than that.
I haven't had issues carrying it on campus, for what that is worth.
If you get one though pick something that burns -slow- on its own, and something that you'd be fine with being the only thing you smoke in the thing, unless you're very careful about what flavours you put in so that they compliment one another of course.
this is the cheapest one I've found. this site -- that fan on the bamboo is just a sticker, its not even fully on when you get it, comes right off and no residue.
There is another place to get them that uses wood instead of bamboo and is much less prone to picking up flavours (but also will not have the sweetness of the bamboo in those early bowls) and they have a few models still available instead of just the one (the had more, but they don't anymore) here some of them aren't in stock though so don't get discouraged if you click a few that are out of stock. many are available.
That second site also has dohka (smoked in a medwakh), which I wish to try in the future but ran short on funds this time.
Then of course you can go the ebay root and that can be interesting --- but a bit risky since there is a good chance you'd get one that tasted like rubbish due to age -- although if you clean them up and smoke them for a while -- all but the most abhorrent flavours can usually be smoked out in time.
EDIT:
I should have pointed this out earlier but meh -- other people (people who have been smoking kiseru for a helluva lot longer than me) claim tastes easy to evict from the pipe. Perhaps this is just my sense of taste being particularly sensitive since I've cut back on smoking again recently (not an active decision or anything, it just happens from time to time) -- and perhaps this is because I contineu to chew and draw lightly on pipes in the hours of class following my morning bowl.
What I'm getting at is that it may indeed be that while bamboo absorbs smells quickly and pungently -- it may work much the same as clay does (but to a much smaller extent) in holding the flavour for a few hours, but then releasing it. bamboo has large pores, good for holding water (which is why the smoke is nearly always very dry, even if the bowl weren't so small) and this works for smoke too -- but I doubt it as strong a talent as that of clay (or even remotely close) and even clay doesn't hold the taste for all that long (a day at the most from what I've seen).
So take my comments on mixing the use of a kiseru amongst blends with a grain or two of salt, I imagine in time I probably will if I continue caring about it 'ruining' the kiseru at all.

tekwyzrd

Lurker
Nov 9, 2011
Just today I received a 10 1/2" long kiseru I ordered from a seller in Japan. I knew it was a small bowl but after considering it for a while and watching the video above (found via google about a month ago) I decided to buy one. I decided a kiseru would be suitable for the times when I only want a few puffs or want to sample one of my blends in progress. I'll eventually purchase a bit of the koiki tobacco but a past purchase may be very useeful. I have an old german tobacco cutter that was made sometime between 1890 and 1900 that makes a very fine cut. According to another individual with a similar cutter (mine is a bit more ornate than his but the same basic machine), based on the gears and measurements he took the cut is a bit over 0.66 mm. I suspect this fine cut might be pretty close to what's traditionally used. As for the tobacco I use it for, I grow my own and sometimes blend 12 or more strains. Nothing compares to well aged, organically grown, additive free air cured tobacco. One of the strains I usually grow is nicotiana rustica (known in South America as Mapacho and in Vietnam as Thuoc Lao) to boost the nicotine in my blends and add a bit of richness to the flavor.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
" 0.66 mm. I suspect this fine cut might be pretty close to what's traditionally used." - kinda, but I can't actually measure the stuff to say for sure. I think it is actually a bit thinner than that.
Oh, also. I did finally get some Koiki (too until back in August though) and it is. . .quite possibly the most delicious tobacco on the face of the planet.

Nov 22, 2011
ok, so im far from being an expert in kiseru but im still pretty well versed as ive been smoking mine for about 3.5 years, although you can smoke other tobacco in a kiseru, the higher tar content will have you cleaning the narrow stem more often, koiki tobacco is cut into long tiny hairs
kiseru04.jpg
and as far as the bowl size im a fan of saru-damas explination
"The bowl is so exceptionally small compared to Western standards that the endeavor of smoking a kiseru may seem fruitless. But please keep in mind that in Japanese culture sake is also imbibed from very tiny cups -- and that has hardly stopped them (or me) from getting a buzz on."
and i wouldnt suggest smoking it while driving, it takes two hands to light even a short one and they dont last long enough to be an enjoyable ride....

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I have been wondering about these and now I just have to have one! Thanks for sharing!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
So how do you smoke in that small bowl baron?

Roll a pinch into a small ball?
OTD, exactly. From what I understand the tobacco used is quite strong and satisfying so you don't need a lot. I have had many kiseru over the years that had significant value. They can be centuries old and quite collectible, some adorned with precious stones and metal highly decorated. I'll stick to my group 4/5 sized pipes though. :)

Nov 22, 2011
the rolled into a ball thing works better with the slightly larger/triangular bowls i've found that rolling it into a slight cylinder shape works better for kiseru like the one pictured, then you insert one end of the cylinder squish and rotate with your thumb slightly, if it has a bit of scruffy "hat hair" thats ok because the hair-like strands burn up and shrink into the bowl pretty quickly, you know when the bowl is spent when you turn it over and tap the stem lightly over the tobacco-bon/ashtray against your palm (always use your palm because as long lived as a well made kiseru can be its still fragile bamboo to breaking and the bowl and mouthpiece to dings and general marring up) a little ball of ash should fall out freely, if not torch and puff on it a few more times and repeat until it does, also when you first light the bowl just kiss the edge lightly with fire and let it catch through slowly, this will make your bowls last longer and i for one think it tastes better, traditionally the kiseru smoke is meant to be briefly inhaled before blowing out... as far as cleaning, always clean before you put it away, if your like me and you smoke a few bowls in a sitting you'll want to wipe out the bowl every so often or it might start to taste a little ashy, to do this you can just triangle a dry paper towel and use the corner to lightly wipe the inside of the bowl, (i stitched my own "pipe cozy" out of some soft scrap fabric i had lying around so ill often just use the corner of that if im out or lazy, it works fine...) aside from that you'll want to use a pipe cleaner every couple of weeks-to a month or as needed. i wouldn't suggest actually scraping it because the seam where bowl meets stem it normally pretty delicate... hope this helps...

Nov 22, 2011
oh and as far as accessories go dating back to Edo period japan the kind of tobacco bag and pipe case shown above were held in to the kimono obi sash (kimonos have no pockets traditionally...) with an ornate button like thing called a ketsuki, as so
220px-Netsuke-p1030001.jpg
these are often made of boxwood, horn, bone or ivory... and very aestheticly pleasing
netsuke-rat.png
37931921_1ff6be582c.jpg
img_2132.jpg

this last one the skull with the mouse is one that i own

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Holy Smoke! I just remembered trading baccy with a little old Japanese dude at Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, WA. The video stoked my memory, which was submerged under several liters of Bavarian Beer. He noticed me with my meer and asked to bum some baccy. I happily and drunkily obliged and I saw him smoking a little pipe, just like that. I remember wondering how he was going to pack that thing. Cool. I may get one one day just to mess with.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Cupojoes has a few Tsuge Kiserus for sale decent pricing
youtube video making of Kizami tobacco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV_VBnRMBwU
I like the Bali shag blue pouch

Status
Not open for further replies.