PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
... that I have been wanting for a while now. Zooming in on the briar shows some fills, and a few holes. Can these be filled after the fact? What would I use? Is it worth the effort?
The clock is ticking...

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
@jefff, both actually, but I was out bid! Dang I really wanted it too...
This is still a good question. Could you stain up some epoxy to match? I assume minwax color sticks would just melt out. Maybe a strip, fill, stain, finish?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
.. that I have been wanting for a while now. Zooming in on the briar shows some fills, and a few holes. Can these be filled after the fact? What would I use? Is it worth the effort?

Just enjoy it for what it is....

Marilyn didn't cover up the mole on her face.............. :puffy:

ibc7yWo.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Painted on or not--- she's still a thing of beauty.....

Point is, a pipe can have a few flaws, and perform flawlessly. Some of my best smokers aren't the prettiest.

BUT--- I'm not going to paint any fills on the one's that don't have them!! LOL!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sure, fills can be filled with briar dust and superglue, then restained. That usually hides them better than the bubble gum holes.
This City deLuxe had a couple of ugly fills, their not invisible but a far sight better. If you do a dual stage stain, that hides them even better.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I had a blasted Sasieni four-dot purchased new in 1974 with what age and use revealed to be a huge one).
That is interesting. Was it a Ruff Root Dark or Ruff Root Light? They did charge more for the Ruff Root Light. I have a shallow blasted Ruff Root Light, and I cannot imagine Sasieni being able to sneak a fill in on that pipe.
EDIT: To say "cannot imagine" is too strong, especially considering my imagination. They could sneak in a fill, but it would be much harder to conceal.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Al- Nice work. When I've used Superglue, putting in as little as possible and then redoing after a drying period, but it tends to sink in the middle and rise at the edge. Next time, I'll add briar dust.
How do you smooth it out after if you're not refinishing the entire pipe?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
While I suppose that someone could restain just that repaired area, it would be tricky. I generally just restain the entire pipe. Fills usually are most visible on lower-end pipes and they just aren't worth the time to do more work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fills should definitely bring the price down decisively, so have that be a part of your deciding on a maximum bid, then let it go. But if you get an otherwise good pipe at a fine price, and the fills don't bother you, it's a good deal. If the fills bother you (at all) don't bid.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
... in some cases, perversely maybe, I am proud of fills, like those Iwan Ries house pipes made by Benton, excellent Greek briar I believe, and a few fills standard, but big chambers and great Canadian shapes -- the fills advertise what a great buy they were nonetheless. They seem to announce, "Many would have paid $400 for a similar pipe without fills, but this one cost $52, ha-ha." Okay, it's corny, but there's truth in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.