PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
About a month or more ago the owners of the Cigar Shop I work at on Saturdays laid me off temporarily, they said they needed to run the place and see if they needed any changes within. I guess both of them working every weekend kind of sucked. So, I get to go back. While I did enjoy the weekends off for a while, it cut into my Pipe/Tobacco fun money very much.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I can understand, it's not very profitable running a shop and I would want to see where I could cut corners to. Although it looks like you are money well spent, congrats :)

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Dave, its Bull Street Cigar in LaGrange. On a side note he mentioned he had a pipe rep come in for Fe.Ro(Fero) pipes. Wanted my opinion. I did a bit of research and they are just above entry level Dr. Grabows/Medicos. Anyone here have an opinion? Would appreciate it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Dave, while I'd love for you stop by, I cannot say this a Cigar shop like Burn's in TN. I wished they would expand their selections of tobaccos and pipes, neither of them have a real interest in cigars/pipes/etc. They do ok because they are the only shop in town.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Congratulations! That would be my dream job, but I would probably smoke up all the profits, lol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Glad you have your gig back. Congratulations. It's sad when pipe shops don't have smoking. The Tinder Box

near me, in a mall, can't have smoking, though my local independent pipe shop does. Your bosses are extraordinarily

lucky (apparently they don't know it) to have someone with a depth of knowledge about pipes and tobacco.

Maybe they will let you develop the pipe and pipe tobacco side of the inventory. Is that LaGrange the 'burb

of Chicago? If so, I grew up in not-distant Park Ridge.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I am hopefully but slowly trying to influence them to get more pipe related items. He did tell me that the RYO business has dropped off a bit. And a vapor shop opened up locally, as a lot of people are doing that. This shop is in GA, not IL.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I got a little resistance when I tried to get our local shop to carry more pipes and pipe tobacco. They told me that they just didn't sell much of it. My response was that they didn't have anything to sell, that is why they don't sell much. I made some recommendations for tobaccos, most of which they now carry. Funny thing is that they are almost always sold out. As soon as they restock out the door it goes, same with pipes. They had a rack of Sav's in there forever all over $100 bucks. I recommended getting in some baskets and maybe another mid range brand. They got in a lot of Nordings, Kriswells (Nording second brand) and baskets. They sold all of the Nordings, have one Kriswell left and half of the baskets. Now they have a selection of Aldo Velani baskets and they sold one while I was there for pipe club. They are working on getting in a lot of Petersons. Not only that but they constantly are getting samples in from different companies trying to garner their business and our club gets to try them all out and give feedback. I can send you a list of tobaccos that I recommended if you want.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
I hope they said thanks for the consultation and gave you a tin of something for a thankyou. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.