Got A Leaky Crack? Stick Some Cake In It!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This is my Dr Grabow lark, that has been my companion for a few years now. A work house kind of pipe. One day on my drive during work,I noticed my fingers were getting wet from my pipe. I turned it to the side and noticed a huge crack in the shank, leaking juices. Well as a quick repair,I scraped some of the thick cake from inside, and filled the crack with our. I have been smoking it like this for about a year, with no serious complaints. Has anyone else done anything like this?
http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/kspitz89/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160406_035728_resized_zpsigyqkehr.jpg.html?filters[user]=131846345&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Idk about using cake, but wood filler putty would work and also bind the crack. I would pay to get a band put on a cracked Dunhill. A cracked Grabow I would toss in the nearest bin. Well if it had sentimental value, maybe a small hose clamp.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I just recently made a pipe that had a pit inside the bowl travel all the way to the outside of the bowl. To test how hardy the wood actually is, I filled the pit from inside the bowl with a pipe mud mixture (cigar ash and water), and am putting the pipe through it's paces. 4 bowls in, still going well. I expect that once a cake builds up there will be no real issues.
But I agree with the above. If the crack is in the shank, you need to capture the shank. I wouldn't be opposed to using shrink tubing on a Grabow at that point. Although shutter should get points for recommending a hose clamp! That made me chuckle!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Without proper tools, you will not be able to tight fit a proper band onto the shank.
if you want to look into it. vermontfreehand.com has bands. Or Tim West at JHLoewes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Whoa! That's a crack and a half!
Another idea is to wrap the area tightly with dark fishing line.
20160406_035728_resized_zpsigyqkehr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.