PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I'm sorry to say that John Marshall has formally closed production of Millville Pipes.
Founded by John and his father Dennis - both long-time Charatan craftsmen (and in Dennis's case management) - Millville was once a mainstream British producer of pipes proudly stamped 'Made in the City of London'. The company was a major presence at trade shows and had a large and loyal clientele, but the decline of pipe-smoking and the digital age saw Millville's presence dwindle to the sale of pipes on John's stall in Jermyn Street Market. However, John's skill and high-grade experience always remained very evident in the pipes he produced. Worked from quality, aged briar, Millvilles are beautiful examples of the pipemaker's art, with straight grain or ringblasting and handcut vulcanite stems.
Unfortunately Dennis's retirement and ill health across the family meant that John was able to find less and less time In the workshop; in the end it became impossible for him to dedicate the time to making pipes.
An unreconstructed Londoner, John eschewed the Internet and other media that would have made Millville the commercial equal (superior?) of many other British pipe brands. He made pipes for love, sticking mainly to the Charatan models at which he was a master and always maintaining the premium standards of that marque. While always free for a chat, John didn't push his pipes and was happy to see whether the customer's understanding of the briar was sufficient for them to appreciate the items in front of them. Of those who did buy a Millville, I have never met anyone who doesn't have the highest praise for their pipe(s) and the consistent enjoyment they give.
You can see more in a recent thread at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/millville-pipes.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What an exemplary career. The stall was an amazing find for pipe smokers who wanted a souvenir that mattered. He reminds me of Jerry Perry, the Colfax, N.C. pipe carver, with no online sales, and only exhibit sales at the N.C. State Fair in October and the TAPS pipe show in April. Those seem to be the only sales points for his work. You have to admire the independence and steadfastness of these guys.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
This is truly sad for us. My Millville pipes represent fantastic values. I mourn their passing, but wish the family joy.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I'd heard the news on a different group, and find it very sad - though surely John deserves to retire and get some rest. One of his Millvilles was the first pipe a *really* liked (a gift from a friend at the London Pipe Club), and still one of my favourite pipes. Recently, on a trip to London, I bought another one (as well as one for a friend), and am very happy with it.
I'll smoke them both in the days to come, and ponder on a magnificent brand that is no more.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I love my Millville, wish I had got more, and I so enjoyed chatting with John Marshall the last few times in London. All best wishes to him, and many thanks. While it seems likely, is he giving up his stall at the market?
This was last Fall:

aynIoMt.jpg

• Love
Reactions: warren

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Andy:
I am so sorry I missed your thread from last year. I would've taken you up on your offer to shop and ship to the colonies. (Damned kind of you, man.) Interesting to see he still employed the Charatan double bit - something I enjoyed which most buyers hated.
Jeez, lights blinking off are sad. I value those pipes no longer made as much from a historical perspective as anything else. The burners I own from Ehrlich, Bertram's, Diebel, Weber and several Kansas carvers might not get the attention they deserve, but I'd have a very difficult time parting with any one of them.
Thanks to all for their comments and pictures.
Fnord

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Damn, visiting John Marshall was my number one task on my London to do list. I have a very close friend living there and I was always very shy to ask him to visit Mr. Marshall and buy me a pipe from him. I regret for that.

luapleahcim

Lurker
Aug 10, 2011
I have 7 Millville pipes, all bought from the stall at the Piccadilly market in 2011; I love them, and such amazing quality given how little I paid for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.