PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefank

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Hello guys, my name is Stefan and Im new around here. Started smoking pipe about 2 years ago but I started smoking "serious" pipe about half a year ago.
Sick of the bad drugstore tobacco I could find around here in my country I had the opportunity to travel and buy some good stuff; however, still feeling like a beginner, I'd like to ask you all:
For you, whats a good old faithfull tobacco? By that I mean a classic blend, a tobacco that is still being smoked regulary by the guy who has been smoking it for decades. A blend everybody loves. To further focus the question, Im not a fan of Latakia dominant blends (I still find it too harsh, harsher if pure Latakia) and I definitively dislike flavoured stuff (Borkhum Riff stuff is a disgrace, and also Super Value.)
Thank you all!

stefank

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Well, if it helps (although I know it is a very different ground) I enjoy a cigar now and then. Mostly Romeo y Julieta and Punch. I enjoy a soft, sliglty spicy smoke.
As far as Pipe Tobacco goes, I have liked Half and Half (from a tin) and I do enjoy to smoke Dunhill Aromatic sometimes, althoug it hits me hard! I had the oportunity once to taste Dunhill nightcap and I prefered it better.
I know its hard to find a consensus since individual taste is something very intimate, but some tobacco names keep showing up more than others. For example i've read a lot about Prince Albert!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hi Stefan, Prince Albert is not far removed from Half & Half. Some of the codger blends are Burley alone (Granger) but most have Burley as a base with Virginia added. Some have no topping and some you barely notice it. You didn't mention if you have a tongue bite issue with straight Virginias. Can you buy online from your country? I would try the sponsors of this website located to the left of this message box. I suggest Pipes & Cigars for the descriptions they give on all blends, and the occasional good deal. Also look at tobaccoreviews.com. Happy Smoking. 8)

stefank

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Hi Stefan, Prince Albert is not far removed from Half & Half. Some of the codger blends are Burley alone (Granger) but most have Burley as a base with Virginia added. Some have no topping and some you barely notice it. You didn't mention if you have a tongue bite issue with straight Virginias. Can you buy online from your country? I would try the sponsors of this website located to the left of this message box. I suggest Pipes & Cigars for the descriptions they give on all blends, and the occasional good deal. Happy Smoking. 8)
Well to be honest I haven't smoked any straight virginias. Or Im being quite ignorant. I only used to get tongue bite and gurgling from those nasty flavoured brands. Now, I have only had tongue bite from H&H or Dunhill if i drawed too hard on my pipe; but learning curve has gone good and now It doesn't gets past tingling on my tongue.
Yes I can order online, and that was one of the motivations for writing this post :D

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
The fact that you have liked Half & Half AND Dunhill Night Cap says that you either have eclectic tastes or that your tastes have not matured yet. The former blend is fairly mild, aromatic, Virginia/Burley, ribbon cut; the latter is also ribbon cut (which is easier for the novice to pack well) but there the similarity ends: English style, Perique, Latakia and Oriental tobaccos and quite strong.
Do you have access to mail order and online ordering? This expands your selection significantly.

Do you have a selection of pipes (I ask this due to the general belief that keeping a particular blend of tobacco to the same pipe gives a more reliable smoke - not everyone agrees with this premise of course)? This implies rotating pipes yoo.

Do you want to use tin (resealable to an extent) or do you want to do the bulk thing: buy in quantity and parse out to smaller glass containers (see articles on cellar storage on this forum) for future opening? This implies a longer term commitment. You can have smaller amounts that can be stored in mylar zipper bags for daily use.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the process! This may be the most helpful place on the web!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For recommendations of scores and hundreds of blends, you only need to keep reading posts here.

To suggest one grand old standby in bulk tobacco, try McClellands 5100 Virginia Red Cake, fine by

itself and for mixing as well. But the number of pleasurable blends for almost any taste is more than

you will ever get around to smoking. Welcome aboard.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Capstan is a straight Virginia that has been around forever (and my favorite tobacco). Most of the Dunhill blends have been around for a long time too.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
You won't find much of a consensus since tastes vary so widely. I like English blends for example so for me, London Mixture, Nightcap and Durbar (all Dunhill blends) will always be in my rotation.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Escudo and Three Nuns have been aren't around for a very long time. I think these would suit you nicely. I too love RyJ and Punch cigars.

stefank

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Thank you all for your sugestions. In the following days I will be ordering the following (not to say that i dumped the other sugestions, but for starters):
- Prince Albert

- Escudo

- McClellands 5100 Virginia Red Cake
Also, to the gentleman Spencer, I do have a variety of pipes. A couple of bryars, one inherited the other one bought, and a three of Missouri Meerschaums (Diplomat, Country Gentleman, and a straight cob)

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
You can start with Escudo and spend a lot more time trying to find something as good or better and not find it. Like most here though, you will experiment more and find other tobaccos that will give you the pleasure that you seek.

stefank

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
You can start with Escudo and spend a lot more time trying to find something as good or better and not find it. Like most here though, you will experiment more and find other tobaccos that will give you the pleasure that you seek.
Im eager to taste it!
You are off to a great start! Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride...
Thank you very much. It is certainly an interesting ride.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I really enjoyed my first coin of Escudo, but by the time I'd tried it, I had become just a bit more experienced with a variety of tastes so that I had a basis for comparison.
I've learned that the blends that have sold over the counter for decades do have their differences and value.
Interestingly enough, I tried three of the OTC Codgers and I like to smoke them all, but didn't initially perceive them as nuanced as I do now. I found that once I'd become enamored or comfortable with Sir Walter Raleigh, my first few bowls of PA were not fully appreciated. I had the same sort of process with CH. Now, I will try to keep them all on hand for regular consumption.

They're NOT the least expensive smokeable pipe tobaccos available, but they share qualities that many of us desire. They're easy packing, easy burning, and individually tasty. They're readily available!

I've just ordered some of the Mid Town Series Prince Andrew, as well as my first tin of half and half in over 40 years. P&C has a nice price on them both.

There's a comfort in having these nice big 12-14oz. cans around for when you want to smoke a bowl w/o too much fanfare, drama, or misplaced reverence.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you can order online from US pipe and tobacco stores you can save a lot of money compared to European outlets. They have so much tobacco it will make your head spin.
I would buy by category; although they are many other fine instances in each class, that's for further exploration.
Virginia/Perique - Escudo

full latakia - GL Pease Gaslight or Dunhill Nightcap

straight VA - McClelland Christmas Cheer

Dark-Fired KY and Virginia - GL Pease JackKnife Plug

VERY strong - Gawith Hoggarth Dark Fla unscented; the scented is very good too. The topping is not off the charts, as is the case with many scented Lakelands

Burley flake - Solani Burley Flake
Good luck; it's a big tobacco world out there. It takes time to find out what you like, smoking it again and again; but it will all fall into place in a few years.

robertelliott

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
The variety of pipe tobacco's let me count the ways. My first bowl was Sir Walter Raleigh.

Than came along the Tinder Box blends, along with some old tin favorites like the Flying Dutchman,

Dunhill Blends, etc. The best blends that I have found for the price and quality are the Sutliff Blends.

There creation of the new blends to the recreation of some of the favorites that are in no longer in circulation are worth trying. I wish you well in your quest.
" Happy Mortal ! He who knows pleasure in which a pipe bastows"

Isaac Hawkins Brown :puffpipe:

stefank

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Has anybody tried the "CORPS: Sophisticate" Tobacco from McClellands? I've been reading a bit around, adding to my wishlist, and this one in particular caught my attention. Its a straight virginia and the description had me drooling!

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
For me, a "Good Old Faithful Tobacco" that I've enjoyed for over 4 decades - MacBaren Symphony

Welcome, stefank!

Status
Not open for further replies.