PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Here's a short video of one of my all time favorite guys, happens to be a pipe smoker too! For those who can't watch the whole thing-- Bing shows off his pipes at 12:00 minutes in.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Zb0Sn32vY

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
My heart rate rose a bit when he started flipping those pipes around.

I was thinking: "Bing, you're gonna drop it!" 8O

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A great example of a time when there were people in Hollywood that had a real appreciation for what they had earned and worked hard for. There was still some morality and family values present and that era compared to the bizzarro world of the modern day LA lifestyle is as different as night and day. Although Bing's estate may have been seen as lavish by some it is in reality, quite modest when you look at the current glutinous lifestyles being led some of the modern celebs. Bing's pipe storage was in my view a very "Everyman" collection, not sleeved in silk and placed in a lighted showcase but instead just stuck in an easily accessible rack that I'm sure saw frequent visits from the Crooner. A very cool video and I'm glad it was shared here for all to see.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Mr. Crosby proved himself to be quite the clencher during this program. Note how, with pipe in mouth, he speaks intelligibly with Mr. Morrow. I am deeply envious, because with my bite I simply cannot do it!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
+1 Huntertrw!

I can clench a pipe all day long when I'm by myself.

Everytime I try to TALK while clenching, I end up sounding like Mushmouth on Fat Albert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ3zMu_WRYU

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks for posting this, beefeater. I've had my eye on a Sav Bing's Favorite pipe for quite a while--watching this makes me want to pull the trigger on one!
Anybody know what Bing's favorite baccy was?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cool that he has a really popular pipe named after him, and it is an outstanding model, between a churchwarden and a regular pipe. A worthwhile tribute.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for sharing.

Can't imagine the interviewer and the interviewee can be (almost) constantly smoking in a TV show nowadays.

:puffy:

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Enjoyed it! Thanks very much.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Thanks for posting. Even at a 44 and Bing passing when I was but 6, he was a well known person in my life. My father introduced him through movies and song. Bing was vilified by one of his sons and for years I could not believe he was as bad a proclaimed. Being older and knowing how kids can be, I think Bing did the best he could.

His songs and acting are still a comfort to me. Seemed a true gentleman and top rate person.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I think Foggy is going to give me a coronary! It's tough on a Crosby fan to see that great collection. Wish I could afford a Dunhill Bing. Beautiful pipes there!!
Voorhees: I wouldn't trust all the things Gary Crosby said about his father. By his own later admission, some of it was made up and/or exaggerated to sell his book.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Based upon Mr. Crosby's autobiography titled "Call Me Lucky" and Mr. Gary Giddins' excellent biography of him titled "Pocket Full of Dreams," the sons from his first marriage (to Wilma Wyatt - aka Dixie Lee) were a mess. Mrs. Crosby was an alcoholic who died too young, just shy of 41 years of age. Mr. Crosby was away much of the time, either at Paramount, the recording studio, or the radio show stage. His desire was for these boys (Gary, Phillip and Dennis (the twins), and Lindsay) to have a "normal" childhood despite growing up in Hollywood, and that grow up to be useful members of society who could stand on their own legs rather than living his reputation and money.
To that end he used on them the strict discipline which he, himself, experienced throughout the course of his Jesuit schooling, and he made no secret of that. He also insisted that they be well mannered, punctual, responsible, and that they work (for an allowance) on the family's ranch in the summer. They did the latter, but grudgingly.
It is purported that Gary had a king sized chip on his shoulder from the time he was born. Further, all were apparently mediocre students who grew into adults who lived tumultuous lives, to say the least. Dennis and Lindsay both committed suicide. Gary died of cancer. Phillip lived the longest, and refuted much of what Gary claimed in his mommy-dearest-themed book titled "Going My Own Way."
That whole chapter of Mr. Crosby's life may be summed up in one word: sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.