Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Good lesson that I learned today...

(8 posts)
  1. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

Today, I felt like smoking Escudo in Dawn Mist Maritime clay pipe.

The thing about this pipe is that it's a cutty pipe; a.k.a. nose-warmer with its stem-length less than 3 inches long.

I had expected it to be a dangerous idea since Virginia burns like Hell and such a short stem would not protect me from losing my tongue.

Surprisingly, it was rather much pleasant; only the tingly-sensation of Perique, but no tongue-bite at all.

So, the lesson that I learned: pipe stem length is not directly proportional to the chance that you'll be safe from having tongue-bite.

I think I'm starting to love cutty pipes due to its portability and ability to deliver the pure taste.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the post. I think it will encourage others to try a clay. I smoke one on occasion, but its long vulcanite stem makes it a different experience.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

Oh wow, I have never seen anything like that before! Btw, did you smoke aromatics with that too? English blends are quite taking a long time to get patina...

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my Wally Franks Dublin nose warmer aint really a cutty cuz it aint got the nub on the bottom for what it is worth i wax this like a meer

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

evil evil evil ... always trying to make my PAD list longer.

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. grafikchaos

grafikchaos

Login to Send PM

LOL! My PAD list is huge because of this forum.

"Within the dark communion of self-awareness, there lies a void called ego. An endless fusion of stillness and chaos, to bring its death can bring rebirth!" - Nevermore
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple of Dawn Mists too. The only problem I have with clays is how hot the bowls get.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

mushjoon asked

did you smoke aromatics with that too?
    English blends are quite taking a long time to get patina...

I've had this since the late 1960's -- so long that I don't remember who made it. The mark on the shank says "Manhattan",
    but I think that's just the style name. I've smoked a variety of different blends in this pipe, but mostly Danish cavendish blends
    and Virginias. Not a big fan of American aromatics (OTC) or Latakia blends. This is a glazed, double-bowled pipe, and I would
    smoke it more if the bowl didn't get so hot. Mind you, the smoke stream is cool and dry, but the bowl really heats up.

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, samw74, boston, lightxmyfire, cjforshi, oldtoby, hauntedmyst, jiminks