PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Hello gentlemen;
Ive a question for you all. Forgive me for sounding like a tobacco snob; but when I think cavendish, I think filler tobacco. Its sort of just thrown in with other tobaccos. I had never heard of anyone who preferred it. I generally just think of Cavendish as part of Aromatics. But Im going to see a very dear old friend; she got married recently and I found out her husband is a pipe smoker. When I asked him what he liked, he said he liked cavendish mixtures; not aromatics. I want to bring him a tin or two as a gift as he is letting me crash at his place for a couple of days but Im kind of stumped as to what to get him. Can you guys reccomend cavendish heavy non aromatic tobacco? Or did I misunderstand him?
Thanks,

BnB

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
BnB, How about McClelland Navy Cavendish? It is non-aromatic and decidedly not a filler tobacco. There is also McClelland 2050 Oriental Cavendish, though I am not familiar with it. Actually, McClelland offers several non-aromatic tobaccos that have a cavendish element.
I have no association with McClelland, but they make my favorite tobaccos and are well-respected among pipe smokers.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
The new Missouri Meerchaum blends and in particular the Great Dane, Sutliff Private Stock "Mountain Pass" & "Loire Valley" I think you would love. Also Russia at P&C blends some great cav's. Look up Tobaccoreviews.com, also Lane has a couple of good blends the best straight cab in the Lane lineup would definitely be BCA.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I recommend you go to the website of The Pipe Den and order some Royal Poinciana, and just to add a nice touch, get some of the Indian River Gold. www.pipeandcigar.com

These are delightful cav blends.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
phxrock, How did I forget that one? BnB, Bulls Eye Flake might be a good bet, too. It is unique in presentation if nothing else. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39991/peter-stokkebye-luxury-bulls-eye-flake/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You could get him unflavored Cavendish blending tobacco that could be added to any other blend to

make it a Cavendish blend. I believe McClelland makes a good version of unflavored black Cavendish.

Flavored or not, I find black Cavendish makes a great mixing tobacco with any Virginia and Burley, and

you can adjust the proportions to suit your tastes at the moment. Cavendish gives nice voluminous

smoke and mellows most blends. It's not a bad smoke by itself. Currently I have Altadis Dark Obsession

on hand, which is lightly flavored with Walnut, but serves my purposes well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries has house tobacco that features Cavendish including a Natural/Black Cavendish blend. It's

competitively priced and I find their house blends good, if Three Star Blue is representative.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I would also take along a larger selection than you normally would for the trip, and have him sample several other of your favorites. He might find something that he enjoys just as well.

Oct 12, 2014
C&D Blockade Runner:
"A true Navy cavendish crumble cake. Hand stoved red and golden Virginias soaked in premium rum for seven days, pressed and sliced."
Smokes dry and while I guess it could be called "aromatic" it really isnt. Just a nice smoking VA cavendish..the rum in no way overwhelms or interferes with the smoke.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone has said Redwood from Two Friends. It's damn good but I'm not sure what level of Cavendish your friend likes. It's more of a Virgnias blend with Cav.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
How about McClelland Navy Cavendish? It is non-aromatic and decidedly not a filler tobacco.

I really like this one myself, but I'm not sure that's what the OP's friend would be expecting. "Cavendish" only refers to the process of curing and flavoring, not to the underlying leaf, and I'd expect a typical pipe smoker to associate Cavendish with the light, mild, Black Cavendish variety. McC's Navy Cavendish is much closer to a straight VA, with barely perceptible rum flavoring from the curing process. It's well-behaved as McC's go, but still much more temperamental to smoke than the usual drug-store type Cavendish blends. It might still make an interesting gift, but I'd probably come with something more traditional as well.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Thank you for your overwhelming responce gentlemen! I will skim some reviews on these suggestions and find something to meet his satisfaction. I am very excited to get to know this man; he married a wonderful woman and I'm sure we'll get along splendidly.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I'd suggest Mac Baren Plumcake may be worth including in your investigations.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
McConnell's glen piper is a nice va with a bit of cav.
Fribourg and treyer evan's blend has va and unsweetened cav.

Status
Not open for further replies.