PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
Just recently spent the weekend hiking the Appalachian Trail in my home state Pennsylvania...two nights out in the woods and it was just great. I packed along my Missouri Meershaum Diplomat and a zip-lock bag of a few Orlik Golden Sliced flakes (I am a lightweight backbacker and these were my luxury items!!!).
I found this was a perfect smoke for me for around the campfire at night and with some good strong camping coffee in the morning.
What is your favorite campfire/ camping smoke???

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
thbg. I have hiked in the Grand Tetons, Boundry Waters (hike/canoe) and a few places in Alaska. I have done my share of backpacking and enjoy Northwoods.

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
Shawn--Northwoods! Fantastic!! A blend made right here in PA. That's a good smoke.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
For camping I favor heavy Lat blends or Balkans. Sitting by a fire, strong black coffee or steel camp cup with some bourbon, one of my old basket pipes and smoky bowl of Latakia something or another -- excellent.
Had some Black House -- winner of the Balkan Sobranie throw-down last year -- last time we were camping. Perfect.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't know jack about camping but I think I'd avoid anything that smells like fruit. Bears like fruit and you're made of meat. Go with a Lat blend.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I probably smoke full aromatics less than 5 out of 100 pipes - save for when I'm at camp. It seems like I always end up throwing a pouch of IRC Three Star China Black Fire Cured in the pipe bag along with a couple of grizzled Alpha blasts. I've done that enough times now that it is just as much a habit to pack that as it is the gun or rod cases!

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Hot coffee or tea with any of my favorite blends is wonderful around a campfire.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Personally, I like Dr. Macfarlane Plumbutter's Skeeter Repelin' Sweet & Savory Pipe Toback.
Okay, okay, they don't really make that...but they should!!

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
When I head to the high country, I pick up a fresh pouch of PA for the fishing hole. I pack a stout Balkan/English for the campfire nights. Latakia keeps the bugs at bay. Lately, H&H Black House or Balkan Sasieni seem to fit the bill. That and a little Bourbon to spike the camp coffee and I'm set. :puffy:

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
Black House and Magnum Opus they are two of my all time favorites anywhere I go, the great outdoors just make the experience that much better, however I do admit in the morning at camp I sometimes enjoy MacBaren's Vanilla Cream flake every now and then after breakfast.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I don't camp anymore 'per se', tent, sleeping bag.... but spend a lot of time at my fish or deer camp. I love setting out on the patio and smoking just about any English Blend in a briar.... Can't beat it.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
I like Half and Half or Prince Albert for campfire smokes! Same applies to when I'm out hunting or fishing, the smoke seems to help keep the bugs away.

Status
Not open for further replies.