PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Any recommendations on a decent bulk Virginia or vaper that is a decent price and comes in a ribbon? I am looking for something cheap and easy for when I am on the go that I can stuff in my cob and smoke all day. Ive tried mcclellens and aj,s and they didn't quite do it for me.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Peter Stokebeye seven Virginia is very nice and quite cheap. I bought some earlier in the year and it was $26 per pound. Hope it hasn't gotten more than that.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I haven't yet tried the 5100, but I plan on buying a small amount and adding some blending Perique to see how it is. I smoked through one tin of MacBaren VA #1 and didn't care much for it, not flavorful enough for me, and tasted like cigarette tobacco. The Peter Stokkebye Long Cut VA sounds good at that price, but I'd sample some first to see how the flavor is.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
I think if I built an igloo out of McC's 5100 and moved in, i'd still worry about not having enough. Infinitely better with a little age on it, for sure.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I was about to type out Cortez's Quadruple Virginia choice. I have been slowly working my way through the John Patton bulk from 4Noggins. The Virginia Squire is another good choice if you don't mind a little burley.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Pardon the potentially dumb questions that follow: What is the differences between Virginias and other types? Could you describe the flavor? Does it have a specific smell?

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
What is the differences between Virginias and other types? Could you describe the flavor? Does it have a specific smell?
All very good questions. There is much written here to help answer your questions, I'll post links at the end.
Very basic answers are:
Virginia, depending on how it's processed, is sweet tasting, sometimes hay like in aroma, or ketchup like in aroma.
Burley is nut like in both aroma and taste, or sometimes chocolaty tasting.
Latakia smells like a barbeque, smokey, taste varies but can be spicy and sweet.
Perique is spicey, peppery tasting.
Here are the links I found:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/common-misconceptions-about-pipe-tobacco/

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tobacco-basics-nicotine-amp-sugar-content-curing-methods

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I haven't had a bowl of 5100 in years but I remember really enjoying that. Something to put on my next order along with some 2020.
H&H Louisiana Red has been a go to bulk VA of mine for the past year or so. I enjoy a bowl of that any time of day. Even makes a great breakfast smoke on the commute to work with a cup of coffee.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
While not available in bulk, I have recently worked my way through tins of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes and Fribourg and Treyer's Golden Mixture. The Golden Mixture is on the nutty side and the Sherlock Holmes is on the fruity side. Both are nice light ribbon cut virginias, and worth the premium over bulk price in my opinion.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
I have just started smoking a pipe and sampling the various pipe tobaccos to see which ones I like best. In the Virginia category I got as far as McClelland 5100 and stopped;that is the one! Did like the sample of McClelland Christmas Cheer 2009 better, but that does not appear to be very readily accessible - unfortunately.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Thank you, Roth! I did get a tin of the 2013! Thanks a bunch for the link; may well get the 2009!!!

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I've ruled out the mcclellens because I've tried their bulk va and vaper (5100?) as well as a few other tinned blends and I've decided I just don't like the ketchup smell. I decided to try the macbarens in my tad order today. Oh and thanks for reminding me of old gowrie. I remember that I have a tin in the cellar so I popped it and It is great. Although not cheap. I also remembered that I have some hh marble cake jarred up and I smoked it last night. It is a lot better than when fresh same with ajs. When I first got those two they were really sweet smelling like they had been soaked in corn syrup.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
What do you like? Sweet Virginia's, bitter, sour, natural? VA's are a big area of favours, be a bit more specific what you're looking for in flavours.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
John, you can also get it here: http://www.briarpatch.biz/cart/Details.cfm?ProdID=52315&category=8&secondary=62

Status
Not open for further replies.