PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Celebrating my late grandfathers B-day, I fired up one of his favorite old Grabow's with his favorite black Cavendish and turned on some Chet Atkins, his favorite musician.
This picture was taken in 1973.
zwm8ppnm.jpg

z3UTpJBl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCm8enWUTrE&index=7&list=PL14FojJvMZXggdpGUQvdqPtDBt70YFBkM

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I swooped in to make a sardonic quip about "old school", but I then read your post. Great looking pipe and great photo. Cheers to grandad on the anniversary of his birth. I'd very much Love to have a pipe formerly owned and enjoyed by a loved one, but so far as I know, I'm the first Allen family smoker and so it seems it shall be me who leaves beloved pipes and sadly so to my nonsmoking ancestry. You're lucky to have it and to share a passion. Congrats!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm the first Allen family smoker and so it seems it shall be me who leaves beloved pipes and sadly so to my nonsmoking ancestry.
Descended from Eastern Kentucky Allen's here. You're not alone brother! :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What kind of Grabow is that? It's gorgeous, and what a wonderful family keepsake!

Jun 4, 2014
A great way to celebrate your grandfathers birthday! I'm also lucky enough to have one of my grandfathers pipes, I always feel a connection to him when I pull it off the rack.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Very nice tribute and honor.
I don't have any of my grandfather's pipes, but do have 3 of my father's. One of them he carried when he flew the Battle of the Bulge. Wish I knew what either of them smoked, but, alas, they were gone before I could find out.
I'm jealous of your tribute, but happy for you.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Simply an amazing way to connect to your grandfather.
My grandfather only occasionally smoked a pipe; however, he dipped Copenhagen his entire last 80 plus years on this earth. Typically I will buy one can to have a couple of dips in memory of him. After reading this I may have to burn a bowl of Captain Black on his birthday. I am not sure he smoked CB; however, I remember his tub of tobacco was white....

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks everyone.
I do feel fortunate every time I smoke one of my grandfathers pipes. He is the reason I got into the hobby. He smoked a pipe from dusk til dawn every day for over 70 years.
I remember as a small child going to my grandparents house and smelling the sweet aromatics. He would set down his pipe in the pipe ashtray and greet everyone, and then proceed back to his Archie Bunker-esque chair and continue smoking while the adults conversed. I now have that pipe ashtray and tobacco jar that sat on the table beside his chair for as long as I can remember.
I replaced the missing pipe knocker and left the cigar burns. I use the ashtray for a stand only. The jar still has a nice seal and it's in daily use at my house now.
kPlhsQtl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.