PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up in Chicagoland, but I was always a White Sox fan, after my dad took me to a Sox game in primo third base seats, and I was in bliss when they finally won the Series in four very competitive games against the Houston Astros in 2005. It was dazzling, dramatic. But now, in solidarity with my Chicago friends and family who have always been Cubs fans, I give what I hope is not a final plea for the Cubs to change the momentum in Game Five, and come back to win the Series. Cleveland could win the Series tonight, alas. As many know, the Cubs haven't won a series since 1908. If they don't win tonight, they may never get back for another try, or not until everyone alive today is gone.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Life-long Cardinals fan. The Baseball season ended weeks ago for me. No Cardinals, no baseball for me. I do note the Cubs are in a most precarious position. But I am glad to see that once again, $$$ will not buy a championship.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As soon as the Cubs came back to beat the SF Giants, I reverted to my childhood team with great enthusiasm. Very disappointing are the last two games, but it's not over till it's over. They are a fine team, and could pull it out.
GO CUBBIES!!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
As a long time Indians fan, I do not share your good thoughts toward Chicago tonight. 2016 is Cleveland's year. Cavs, Indians and, perhaps for the first time since their return, the Browns seem to have a plan.
GO TRIBE!!!!
Mike S.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Dont give up hope I remember the negativity when my Diamondbacks played the Yankees in 2001, nobody outside Arizona saw that one coming

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I do like that neither team has won in a while. If Cleveland wins that will be as good as the Jays coming second two years in a row. My logic may not be sound but sports fans don't need any logic.
I hope for a good game tonight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jacks', my wife is an ardent Cardinals fan, having grown up in northeast Missouri, although she also is a Yankees fans from her working life in NYC. Since she has no loyalties in this series, she's pulling for the Cubs. I've never been to a game at Wrigley Field, but used to be in the neighborhood when a newlywed buddy lived in an apartment within sight of the park. I think that was before Wrigley finally installed lights for night games. Cubs must have been the last team in the majors to do so.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
Great game tonight. I have not watched the Cubs play during the regular season since 2008 (the year I started dating my now wife). I watched a few of the playoffs games this year and last with a passing interest but had no expectation of them going to the World Series. Everyone yells at the TV and gets all worked up but I can sit back and relax and enjoy knowing in the end it's just a bunch of men hitting a ball with a stick and my life will not change in any significant way if they win or lose. But it'd certainly be fun to see them win.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chapman did some serious pitching as the closer. I'm glad the Cubs were not so forlorn as to lose the series in their home park. They still might come back and do it, though it's a stretch. Go Cubbies!

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
My grandfather has been waiting for a Cubs World Series win since the day he was born. I want it for him, I want it for my city. Tonight's game was nerve-racking but incredible! Holding out for a miracle!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I remember last year when my Mets swept the Cubs in the NLCS. That was great. To bad they choked away the WS and were unfortunately smacked by the injury bug this year. Heck, I was surprised they even made the playoffs. I was happy the team over came so many obstacles this year and kept fighting.
After the game tonight you would have thought the Cubs won it all by the way some of the fans were reacting. Of course you can't blame them... its been 71 years since they actually won a WS game at Wrigley and 108 since they won it all. LOL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, metalhead', the Cubs fans have to take what they can when they can. It's a rough way to be a baseball fan. Google Steve Goodman's song about the dying Cubs fan, which is heart felt but also very funny. Goodman died young but left behind at least two great Cubs songs, as well as "The City of New Orleans," one of the great railroad anthems in the American song book. Next spring, I'm back with my White Sox. Interesting how the team floated apart over several years after the Series win, but that's the baseball business. FYI, the Sox are the Southside blue collar fan base in Chicago, while the Cubs are the Northside and suburban fan base ... in general. I was a suburban kid who loved the Sox, so no generalizing here.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I inherited my Cubs fandom from my late grandfather who was from Streator, Illinois. He was also the pipe smoker from my childhood that inspired me to pick up the pipe, so the Cubs being in the World Series has some significance for me. Win or lose, I'll be smoking a pipe in his honor.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
GO CUBS!!
It won't take a miracle for them to win the WS. They just have to play their best for two games!
Last night's game was a corker, nerves all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.