PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
My dear wife accidentally dropped what happens to be my most valuable pipe, a Jim Deschaine freehand poker. When I got home to see the damage, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting from what she said over the phone (her taxonomy of pipe anatomy isn't the most specific). I think it can be re-glued, but I want to make sure to use the right glue. Specifically I'm wondering if there are some glues that are safer to use than others, considering it might heat up (though it is thankfully far up the shank from the bowl). I have some Gorilla Glue in the house already. The white part is ivory (I think) but I don't know what the black ring is... possibly plastic? The stem still comes out of the white part without any problem, but I'm worried that the first time I pull it out after re-gluing, I'll pull the glued part out as well. Any advice would be appreciated.
Oh and my wife feels terrible and it was definitely an accident, so please, no bashing of her here. :)
Thank you!
20160218_164013.jpg

20160218_164050.jpg

20160218_164224.jpg

Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can say no, definitely no, to Gorilla Glue. This type of glue will expand and the repair will look ugly and not be particularly strong. Sadly, I have no suggestion as to what might work with Ivory. Someone with experience will respond soon I'd bet. Otherwise I'd be down at the Museum of Science and Industry looking for advice. I am remembering correctly that you reside in Chicago, aren't I?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I agree with not using Gorilla Glue. It tends to foam and leaves a messy joint. always used Elmer's Carpenter Glue (the yellow stuff) I suspect that Ivory can be glued with it. At least I used it on Ivory to wood on my pipes. It is supposed to have the highest heat tolerance of any wood glue (@500 degrees F). Maybe a 2 part epoxy, quick setting would work too.This not the opinion of an expert by any means...just mine.

Mike S.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I agree with Cosmic; it'll need a repair tenon or it will like come apart some time when you're removing the stem. That doesn't look like ivory to me. Maybe Elforyn? I'm sure George can work wonders for it.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Oh and my wife feels terrible and it was definitely an accident, so please, no bashing of her here
Who ever could bash your wife for an accident?

Aniway your thought shows you are a very careful husband.

Congrats!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm 99% sure it's not ivory- it broke like an acrylic. Face gluing with any glue is not going to work- when you remove the stem, that joint will get torqued and eventually fail.I would probably use an internal tenon going into both pieces to give it the support it needed...(But I'm also smart enough to know, I would do a crappy job, because I'm a pipe maker, not a pipe fixer....) The moral of the story- send it to George...

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the tips, all. So glue is NOT the way to go! There's a guy in my local pipe club who does good repairs. I'm going to ask him to do it first but if he can't do it I'll send to George. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since it is one of your best pipes, send it to the pro with the highest recommendations. Otherwise if things go astray, you'll always wish you had.

Status
Not open for further replies.