PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
I have a MM Legend Cob that I absolutely love. The other day, I noticed that it began to smoke a bit acrid, and not the smooth cob that I had known to love. I decided to do a deeper cleaning (as opposed to my usual 'run a few pipe cleaners through after smoking'). I was using grain alcohol and bristle cleaners. All was going well until I noticed that it seemed like this rather THICK material was coming off from the inside of the bowl right above the inserted shank. I know that this was not coming off as a result of my deeper cleaning, as I had done nothing in the bowl yet.
Was this glue? Is it even safe to smoke? Is it normal for cobs to do this?
Thanks.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It was probably a little glue, which is normal for cobs. I usually just try to scrape those little chunks out and then quickly build a little carbon. It won't hurt you and isn't a big deal, as most new cobs have a little glue on them here and there.

I think you know that it is glue... I only know that it is glue because you tell us that it is...

When I read on here so much about people adding wood glue, JB Weld, or Gorilla glue to their cobs because they seem to all be so poorly manufactured that they requires little dab or two, I always wonder how the heck this company stays in business. I have had six of the things, two of which I just tossed because they were so poorly made that I would have been smoking mostly glue, and the other two still needed a slight glue up to make it draw air through the right hole. Two came sort of working right out of the pack.

If it weren't for so many people truly dedicated to smoking these dime store novelties, no one would even think about smoking out of one of these things. When you've got mark Twain and General MacArthur pitching your product from the grave...

I have a couple that I smoke when there is a good chance that it might be destroyed. But, no luck yet. :puffy:
As for smoking glue... in the face of absolute truth would you throw it away? Or, are you one of the folks that thinks these things smoke fantastic enough to tolerate a little glue in your bowl? ...therein lies your answer.

If one of your briar pipes had glue in the bowl, what would you do?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
think you know that it is glue... I only know that it is glue because you tell us that it is...

When I read on here so much about people adding wood glue, JB Weld, or Gorilla glue to their cobs because they seem to all be so poorly manufactured that they requires little dab or two, I always wonder how the heck this company stays in business. I have had six of the things, two of which I just tossed because they were so poorly made that I would have been smoking mostly glue, and the other two still needed a slight glue up to make it draw air through the right hole. Two came sort of working right out of the pack.

If it weren't for so many people truly dedicated to smoking these dime store novelties, no one would even think about smoking out of one of these things. When you've got mark Twain and General MacArthur pitching your product from the grave...

I have a couple that I smoke when there is a good chance that it might be destroyed. But, no luck yet. :puffy:
As for smoking glue... in the face of absolute truth would you throw it away? Or, are you one of the folks that thinks these things smoke fantastic enough to tolerate a little glue in your bowl? ...therein lies your answer.

If one of your briar pipes had glue in the bowl, what would you do?
In my case, when I started pipe smoking I bought 4 MMs. All of them smoke fine and I have never had any issues with them. I don't know about yours but one of mine had a little glue left inside the bowl and I removed it, that's all. I personally think that they smoke cool and dry. And I will be buying few more in the future for sure. MM corn cobs are real workhorses, so no complaints from my side.

oldseadog

Lurker
Feb 23, 2016
Missouri Meerschaum pipes are made simple not made cheaply. Big difference i had the same diplomat 5th ave for ten years never a problem. And i own briars too. Just because you can get a MM for under 10 dollars doesn't make it a cheaply made pipe. As for the glue its a wood glue food grade. And just as safe as smoking.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I always wonder how the heck this company stays in business.
Well, working in an auto shop I use the heck out of them. Dirty/greasy hands, concrete floors, power tools, all sorts of things in a shop that can ruin a nice pipe in an instant. Smoking MM cobs at the shop means I don't have to worry about it. If one gets broken or stained with greasy fingerprints or whatever, no big deal. Toss it in the trash and head up to the corner drugstore to buy another one for $5.
Was this glue? Is it even safe to smoke? Is it normal for cobs to do this?
Yes. Yes. And, Yes.
Happens all the time on MM cobs. Pick it out with a pair of tweezers if you like, or leave it. It's not gonna hurt you anymore than the stuff that is in tobacco smoke anyways, right? :)
Also, as a smoker of MM cobs I'll give you a tip: Don't clean them.
Seriously. Run a pipe cleaner through the stem once in a while and forget about the rest. Let dottle fill in the spaces between the shank and the bowl walls, it will carbon up and become part of the pipe. Don't sweat it.
I've ruined 2 MM cobs by over-cleaning. Now I just leave them alone and they smoke fine plus last longer. If the cake gets too thick I scrape some off with a pocket knife.
I mean, it's a $5 cob. Just smoke it. If it gets to a point where you don't think it's smoking right anymore, toss it and get another. Rinse. Repeat. :)
$.02

Mar 1, 2014
I think you know that it is glue... I only know that it is glue because you tell us that it is...

Cosmic, I don't know where, when or how you got your Cobs, but I have over a dozen of them (three Wizards, five MacArthurs, four of the smaller Generals, and two Hardwood models) and they're all fantastic, barring one General that burned out on my second bowl with it, and one of the MacArthurs has a soft spot in the bowl, but I put a good amount of carbon buildup on there so it should be fine. I would return these things but from Canada return shipping is going to cost as much as buying two or three more Cobs.

I specifically noticed that between 2014 and 2015 they started adding wood plugs to the General Cob, and I think fit and finish went up. The Cobwardens are particularly well assembled.
When was the last time you bought a Cob? Maybe things have changed.

Maybe they pay less attention with the smaller cobs? Maybe it helps that the big ones have thick walls?

Regardless, they've always been functional out of the box and they're unbeatable for someone who loves to tinker. That Wizard that I blasted black is one of my favorite pipes (though it still does leak a bit of honey occasionally, but all you have to do us burn it more to solve that).

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cob-mods

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I had a cobbit that jettisoned the hardwood plug on the bottom of the bowl and sent embers and ash all over the floor. Not enough glue in that case, I guess.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I bought 3 cobs back in 2009 when I first started smoking and I still smoke em today! Like Tinsel, I do not do a deep clean with them and I think the carbon build up makes them a sturdier pipe and I can see these cobs lasting several more years. Never had a problem with glue and never had a problem like Cosmic, although I think I bought a grade up from his, mine didn't come in plastic. They smoke great and serve a great purpose for the working man that doesn't want to mess up his briar pipes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I applaud everyone who has chosen not to be offended at something. Keep up the good work!!
You're not exactly making it easy here ... :nana:
I don't know where, when or how you got your Cobs
Umm ... this? With around 30 of them and ZERO issues, I have to wonder what you were trying to smoke. :lol:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Out of the 30 or so that I own, I have two Legends I have been smoking for over 30 years with no problems...

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks everyone. My mind is at ease now, knowing that is is not an abnormal happening.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
And here is what I have found from Arno's blog:
The glue used in making cobs is non-toxic. So if you see some residue inside the bowl, don’t be alarmed. You can leave it or carefully scrape it out with a small knife.
diplomat.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.