PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Even though this tobacco seems to be ready to smoke right out of the tin, I put a bowl full on a napkin for about an hour to dry as I'm apt to do with most any tobacco. I rubbed it out slightly and loaded it into a relatively tall Northern Briar with thick walls. The tobacco packed quite easily.
Required a couple of charring lights and one true light. Started out a little rough around the edges. It quickly transformed into a vey pleasant smoke with the Kentucky most prevalent. The other tobaccos were present though. This pretty much stayed the same during the first half of the bowl. About half way, the red Virginia began to caramelize and take over. Happily, the Kentucky and light leaf remained in the background so this wasn't just s sugar cube.
This blend smoked easily and very cool. I didn't find this blend to be overly strong and the nicotine hit was no more than moderate. Bottom line, I give this blend 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. This is a tobacco I will buy more of, extra to cellar and age.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the ready-rubbed a lot. No need to wrestle with the original plug. Pease's blends all seem to have a signature clarity where each component shines through the blend, yet they all work together.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Jack Knife is my favourite, I smoke it at least once a day. I do prefer the RR version over the plug for ease, but unfortunately it isn't sold in the 8oz size tin to my knowledge. So I'm left to buy the 8oz plugs, which is ok but does take time to prepare. I use a designated pair of kitchen scissors and cube cut it, then rub it out further. I've popped tins 5+ years old, and as far a ageing goes I don't think it benefits much...a little bit, yes. A 50/50 mix of JKP and Triple Play is a tasty mix, too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy prepping flake and plug, but sometimes if you want a smoke as you do something else, it's just too time-consuming. That's when loose/ready rub cut is the default choice.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad you liked it. That mix, and 50/50 Black Twist XX and ODF are often my wake up blends.

Jul 12, 2011
JackKnife plug is also one of my all time favs and always takes front row in my daily rotations - in the past month I have stocked up another 5lbs of the plug version and with this thread about the ready rubbed version my TAD just pulled the trigger on another 2lbs of this stuff ( At $4.46/oz, buying the 8oz tin version my TAD could not resist ). It reminds me of a rich/creamy chocolate oatmeal stout and with this dang cold I just recently came down with it seems to be the only blend that can keep delivering even when my taste buds are muted right now :puffy:
I just finished another bowl of the plug version ( with about 5 years of age on it ) and I can say that with age this blend really shines - having a Grady's cold brew coffee on the side - a match made in heaven

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Nice review Mark, glad you found another blend you enjoy. If you really like it after smoking a full tin, you might want to grab a bunch. From what I can tell the JK plug came out in 2011 and the earliest review for the ready rubbed was 2013. Both of them are after the FDA's chopping block list of blends created after 2007. If I am reading all the FDA stuff right, blends created after 2007 will have to go through some crazy process that is so expensive, the blender is better served discontinuing the blend. If anyone thinks my explanation is wrong, please feel free to correct me, I am no expert on the subject.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nope, you are correct. The cut off date has been pushed from this year until 2021, so we still have a few years, but the axe is coming.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I have not purchasd the ready rub version yet, I have been wanting to try it.

J/K plug is one of my favorite go to tobaccos from MR.Pease.

Just for the heck of it last week I decided to smoke some jack-knife plug in one of my briars that I mostly use for Lakeland tobacco.

I was curious if the lakeland ghost would effect the flavor much. For me it did not, maybe just a tad of lakeland essence.

But the funny thing is this, I was at my local tobacconist while smoking this and one of the ladies behind the counter asked, Jeff, what is that aeromatic your smoking it smells splendid!, I replied oh just some custom blend I mixed up!

she said well, make more I love how it smells! :lol:

This particular tobacco shop does not sell Gawith-Hoggarth or G.L.Pease tobaccos.

But I am trying to convince them to carry both of them. I would be so nice to shop local and support this tobacconist and not mail order my favorites. :puffpipe:

Jul 12, 2011
GLP's JackKnife Plug is also one of my main rotation blends. I also just got some ready rubbed and it works great for when I don't have time to do the prep with the plug. I just smoked some rr that had about 4 months on it, but man when this stuff gets some age on it, WOW - I have been smoking the last of my 8oz / 5 year old plug and the stuff is out of this world. I just stocked up on a few more lbs of the plug so I can cellar.
I also have just tried Triple Play and really enjoy this blend as well.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I have wondered about Triple Play I might have to add that one to my wish list.

With the McClelland and Dunhill debacle.

I have been getting a few tins from each company.

I hope my favorite blends created by Mr.Pease are not in danger of going away soon

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Agreed. Reminds me of a loaf of warm brown bread. Great smell and mouth feel with a hint of sweet molasses.

Jul 12, 2011
@smittyd - Glad you are trying JKP, just watch out if you are not use to stronger Nic blends. I find that JKP's power builds as you work your way through the smoke - IMO, I found slicing the plug thin through all the layers, then chopping into cubes with a slight rub really delivers, but also give it some dry time after you slice/prep it. I then just gravity fill the bowl, a slight tamp and you are good to go.
I'm sad to say that I just finished off the last of my 8oz's worth of JKP that had 5 years of age on them - this stuff really does shine as do most blends with some age on them.
My preference for bowl is Chamber Diameter: 0.85 in. | Chamber Depth: 1.46 - Having a bowl of this size/depth with JKP does the trick for me and even pushes my limits on Nic levels a bit - have some water and something sweet if you feel the Nic levels are overtaking you - always helps me :puffy:
@jeffro - I did read on glpease.com that this blend is at risk, and may disappear in a couple years - I have been slowing buying a few lbs here and there in order to stock up just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.