PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Back near the beginning of fall/end of summer I bought a couple of tins to get me back into the latakia blends for the cooler months ahead. One of those tins was GLP Ashbury. I made the mistake of thinking it had much more latakia in it than it actually does. I tried it out for about a week, but just couldn't get into it; too spicy for me and not enough depth. I went on to other blends and decided to write this one off.
Fast forward several months. One day I was in my car and had nothing to smoke. I looked in the back seat and there was that Ashbury. Thinking it would be dry, I opened the tin and smelled it. It still had enough moisture due to all the rain and such we'd had lately, I guess. So I packed up a bowl in desperation and Low and Behold! Magic began to happen! I don't know if a few months of aging helped, or if my palate changed, or what. But I noticed an array of flavors from the tip of my tongue to the back. I smoked bowl after bowl, and with each it has become even better. I've got several top-shelf unopened blends in my cabinet, but all that I want lately is this, and this morning I just finished the tin.
Has anyone else had this experience with Ashbury, or another tobacco that you once couldn't appreciate but now love?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Seems that's a fairly common phenomenon. I'd wager the majority of dedicated pipe smokers have been underwhelmed by a new blend...hid it away for a while..then on second smoke they love it.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That happens to me all the time. That's why I can never bring myself to get rid of any tobacco, because I'm afraid of missing this moment. The ONLY tobacco so far I've never been able to come back to was The Virginia Cream. It sounded so good to me, and I tried and tried to like it, coming back to it several times after months, and I had to realize I just don't like it.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Yep, not uncommon for me.

Conversely I have experienced a perfect, magical first smoke with a few blends, but never again relived.

Such are the vicissitudes of the pipe.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Lee
How fresh was the Ashbury? A lot of the C&D/GLP tins hit the shelves within days of production, and a few weeks of age do a lot to develop the flavor. Also airing out freshly popped tins does the same - a few days suffices.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This has happened to me from time to time. I wish I could click off which blends. I think Iwan Ries Three Star Blue started so-so and came to life later. I even think Old Joe Krantz seemed a little rough before it registered with me. Granger went in and out. Russ O. did an experimental Balkan M-61 that seemed a little too mild but unfolded. Yeah, there's often an initial rejection or tentative experience, and then a winning bowl. I think some blends just take some time after opening to settle into their full flavor profile. Sometimes a little age can do that. Point is, save blends you don't like at first and try them later.

Status
Not open for further replies.