PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
This review is coming from my first Virginia experience so take it for what it's worth. This tin is only 8 months old, is guessing it gets much better with age. On opening the tin I received a rich, dark fruit aroma (raisin, fig...) a bit tart. The tin note made me very curious indeed. I've been on a burley kick and this was much different aroma than any burley I've tried. I packed it in a metamorfosi bent bulldog. Had no problems lighting. Right off the bat I was hit with a pungent but sweet taste that blew me away. I wish I could explain it but dark fruit with a maybe a hint of cocoa is the best way I know to say it. It was very strong, definite nic hit. This tobacco demanded it be taken slow, not because of bite but the rich flavor, akin to when you drink a good stout. You only take a sip or two then put it down for a few minutes or you can't pick up all the flavors in the beer, the same was true with this. Smoking Haddo's Delight causes me to understand why many guys say you get more flavor from a Virginia than a aromatic. This was just a delight. The last quarter of the bowl did not seem to have as much bursting flavor, not sure if that was the tobacco or because my brian may have been spinning at that point. All in all I am very pleased with G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight and it has peaked my interest in Virginia's and Virginia blends. Would love to know what others think good or bad

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Good review man! Haddos is a great blend to be sure and yes, you must go very very slow with it to get the full flavors. I was just smoking some Tilbury the other day and the more I slowed down, the better it was.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Spiced plum maybe.....meant to throw that in there, so much going on in it, hard for my newb taste buds to pin it all down.

Technically, Haddos is an aromatic VaPer. It has a brandy or rum topping that gives it the aromatic qualities. But, it is known as a quintessential Virginia/Perique blend. This one gets me going like a frog on a hotplate, very tart, zippy, zip zip. And, notice how the flavors evolve from the initial lighting of the pipe down to the ash. It is everything one would/could/should want in a pipe tobacco. And, a tin doesn't last very long in my rotation. I can smoke a tin of Haddos in a little over a day... if I slow way down.
It has one fatal flaw, and that is that that no good despicable Gregory Pease wont sell this in five gallon buckets, damn his eyes. :puffy:

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
It should have a new family category, the "freaking amazing, slap your momma" category is where this belongs. If I had a 5 gallon bucket of this and ABF I could live in a van down by the river survive off peanut butter and saltines, my two 5 gallon buckets of goodness and be happier than a tick on a fat hound dog.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an unopened tin that I'm looking forward to. I've had it a year or two, but I may be weakening.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I love Haddos, and it ages quite well. At some future date I'll open up my last tin of the 2001, but no fears as I have tins from 2005, a one lb tin from 2010, and tins from 2013 and some other tins. It does have a boozy topping, maybe plum wine, and it will deliver amazing flavors if given a little dry time, though the boozy topping will lessen. Good stuff!

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
You guys have much more patience than me. I'm like a little kid, the first thing I do when I get an order in is open all the tins up just to smell them.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Mr.Pease does a great job with the brandy in his blends. Give Barbary Coast a try, I think you'll like it as well. I really enjoy it alongside a little bit of port.

Status
Not open for further replies.