PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yep. The cut is a cigarette cut, so fans of open draw pipes may get some bits of tobacco in their mouths when sipping. To me, the star is the Perique, while the Virginias and Kentucky take a back seat. I was not pleased with the blend when I smoked it. But I've tried giving it a bit more dry time and a wider bowl and the Virginia and Kentucky have come to life a bit more. I'm not wild about dark fired in this blend. I'm not all that wild about dark fired in any case.
All that said, I've often found Pease's blends a bit challenging and sometimes off putting at first, until I get over the shock and then they become favorites. A bit of aging helps as well. I'm going to have another bowl or two today, to see if it grows on me.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yep, I bought 4 tins. Two in a first order, tried it and bought two more on the second order. It’s really good. I can’t really pinpoint anything, except it’s the best tobacco I’ve smoked in a clay. Im guessing it does well in the clay because of the cut. It hits all the check marks for a Perfect Va/Per, with a splash of dark fired. My first thoughts, “This is better than Hal O the Wynd!” Of Course it will age well, so you might want to cellar deep if you pull the lever.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I am also in the love it camp, as I love VA and KY blends. The shag cut is fun too. I prefer to use it when breaking in a new pipe as it tends to burn hotter and more evenly than flakes or other ribbons for me.
As with all Pease blends, jarring it and letting it sit for a week or two drastically changes the flavor for me, for the better that is. I will be ordering much more of this as I suspect it will age perfectly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried it, but the Russ O. blend with the same components, Fire Storm, is excellent, right through the tin. I highly recommend it.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
@mso489 The flavor profile of FireStorm is quite different than Penny Farthing, at least to my taste buds. In Fire Storm the sweet virgina contasts very clearly with the pepper of perique. I don't get those flavors out of Penny Farthing. To me, the later is more about toasty bread aroma and flavors. It's milder than FireStorm and less about contrasts. The perique gives a sensation in the back of the throat but overall the blend seems to be more about unified flavors than it is about taking a complex journey.
I've only had six or seven bowls of Penny Farthing so far and I'm still in the "what's this blend all about" discovery phase. So far it's shaping up to be a likeable blend (at least in the right pipe). I'm all about umami bread flavors in Virginia and that's not something I find much in GLP blends. While not crazy about the shag cut, it does make this blend super easy to deal with. No drying, rubbing, or prep needed. It's just instant action.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I find the Dark Fired to be more up-front than most others seem to. An enjoyable blend, it’ll be interesting to see how it ages.
Easy smoking, enough flavor to be interesting and no rough edges. Pleasant and all of the components harmonize.
I prefer Firestorm to Penny Farthing but that’s simply personal preference. Both are worth having on hand as they taste quite different.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My first impression was so so. I think it has potential with aging. Too much peppery perique for me. It settled down and was decent the second half of the bowl. GLP blends though often need a few weeks of time after opening the tin. I've sat it aside, will try again in August.

Reactions: retrogrouch

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I just had my first bowl. First, the positive. I love the cut. Shags are always very manageable. Now, as Paul Harvey would have said, “the rest of the story”. I find this blend utterly confusing. I don’t know how to even classify the blend. It is definitely unlike any VaPer I have ever smoked. I am baffled by the intent of the presentation. I taste no usual VA taste; no grass, no earth, no bread. I taste no plum, fig, fruitiness, or even spice from the Perique. I did not notice any smokiness from the DF. I was hoping for some complexity or dueling flavor. I got just one dimension and I lack the palate vocabulary to accurately describe the flavor. It was not offensive or even bad. Conversely, it was not particularly pleasing or good. This one goes in the jar and I hope that age does its magic, like it does with many GLP blends.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Agreed. Not remotely like Fire Storm, which is a blend I love. Pennyfarthing is much less sweet. Its primary characteristic for me was nuttiness, provided that you sip. Any hotter and it gets muddy for me. I recommend a small pipe, like a group 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.