PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
tried two bowls out of the new doc grabow decided it wasn't gonna work with that blend...

pulled out my well loved, broken in, smooth smoking old doc grabow...loaded it up and had three bowls in her...don't know if it was the familiarity of the pipe or the slightly wider bowl..but it burned better in the broken in pipe.

This is my first latakia heavy blend, only maybe my second that wouldn't be considered an Aro. So if your looking for a good review of Odyssey as compared to other similar blends it's not me you wanna ask.

I can really taste the leathery smoky taste that people keep mentioning with latakia. I also get a peppery undertone, with just a hint of smooth...not chocolate smooth, more like a well worn t-shirt under the rough leather work coat.

The room note, well it's probably a good thing I live alone. Won't be smoking it when the girls come over :lol: I like the smell but it is probably a bit pungent for attracting the fainter of the fairer gender. No offense to the lovely ladies on here of course.

The first few drags in the smaller unbroken pipe made my eyes water a bit. once it was in a broken pipe I could just picture a bunch of grizzled old cowboys laughing at the youngin ,hacking and coughing after taking his first drag out of a pipe. The whole time knowing that with a broken in pipe it's a nice smooth smoke, and of course since he's the FNG they didn't tell him not to inhale :lol:

The Beard/mustache note is still hanging on nicely. and between the beard mustache and the flavor is where I'm hooked. I'm very big on smells and tastes. This one transported me away.

The thick pungent aroma, teasing me, begging to be stuffed in an old broken stemmed clay and puffed upon while working the ropes on the Pequod. The only break from the smell of salt air and whale stench.

Or jammed into a well loved corn cob to chase away the flies while mucking stalls in some old John Wayne western.

Perhaps an ornate long stem while advising armies on their next mission, from my vantage on a pile of the rotting corpses of the enemy.

It's one of those tobaccos that begs for something to try to stand up to it.

Maybe it's the Kraken rum talking, but I closed my my eyes to enjoy this tobacco and my mind was transported to a time and place when men were still rough and tumble. Where hands were cracked and skin leathery from days in the sun. a private Odyssey, with only my pipe as a constant companion.
Now I just have to find a girl who doesn't mind the room note :lol:

Or at least one that will bring me Iced tea and sit on the front porch after a hard days work while I smoke my pipe...preferably in period dress so as not to ruin my smoking and dreaming of a time long past.
Guess I'll be trying more latakia blends :)

But Odyssey will always be my first time...She'll be that perfect moment where I told myself in to a grand adventure.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Good description of a really great blend. Odyssey is in my all time top ten.

Jul 15, 2011
You never forget your first :mrgreen:
My first experience with Latakia was a tin of Balkan Sasieni, and having no experience with lat at the time, all it took was one puff and I was hooked. I thought I had a tin of Odyssey in my cellar but I must have either traded it or sold it off. In any case, it sounds great, and Im glad you enjoyed your first Latakia experience. Heres to many more sweet smokes!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a great description, you have a way with words. Yep, no one will ever tell you "that smells great" smoking a Lat blend....good luck with the gal thing! I haven't yet tried Odyssey, but I'm smoking Meridian at the moment (no perique). It is similar to Chelsea Morning, which has a touch of perique.

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
Now I just have to find a girl who doesn't mind the room note

Or at least one that will bring me Iced tea and sit on the front porch after a hard days work while I smoke my pipe...preferably in period dress so as not to ruin my smoking and dreaming of a time long past.

Sorry darlin' but I am already married to a Kraken-drinking, lat-loving man. ;) I do enjoy your way with words. I traded for a 16oz tin of Odyssey and this is tempting me to pop it open for the weekend ... despite having too many open tins already.
Maybe a bowl of Charing Cross is in order for today.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
G.L.Pease Odyssey is a nice smooth blend, I like it alot have about 1 pound of it.joshwolftree great description.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
For my money, Odyssey is the best Balkan on the market today. You certainly picked a great one to start with! I would have recommended something milder your first time out, but since you liked it I feel comfortable in recommending most any latakia mixture to you without worrying about its fullness.

joshwolftree

so I stopped by the B&M today to try out another latakia blend today,David Hobbs from king street emporium tried it out and it was to light as compared to the odyssey, mixed 1 part latakia with 4 parts Hobbs, it's closer to the smoke I want though mellowed a bit from the Odyssey and certainly does not have the over powering room note...I have determined it's the latakia flavor that gets me going...I'm thinking next time I'll try 4 parts lat 1 part Hobbs. throw me any suggestions for crazy heavy lat smokes y'all can think of. I'm half tempted to just buy straight mixing Latakia and see if I can curl my beard a bit :twisted:

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Odyssey is one of the heaviest latakia blends on the market, along with Abingdon, Pirate Kake, Ten Russians, and Da Vinci. I think you'll find straight latakia to be not too pleasant -- it's like most condiments/spices. It's one thing to really like garlic on your pasta, but it's another thing entirely to just eat a raw garlic clove.

But hey -- you might just like it. Some guys smoke straight lat and claim to enjoy the experience.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
I love Odyssey just got a tin in my last order. I remember my first encounter with latakia was with Dunhill Nightcap, latakia blends have been the majority of the blends I have smoked since.

Status
Not open for further replies.