PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
As I mentioned in an earlier post I placed a smallish order with Pipes and Cigars, which arrived this afternoon. Of the seven tobaccos I ordered, five are completely new to me - choices made at the recommendations of all the good people here :) I tried the two GL Pease varieties today - Meridian and Haddo's Delight and I enjoyed them both thoroughly.
I sampled Meridian this afternoon while I took the pup out for a run in the park. My first thought after I lit my pipe was simply, "Yum!" It offered a much lighter flavor than the Va's I've been smoking, without being brassy. A little bit woodsy, a little bit smokey, with just a touch of spice. As I continued to smoke I considered that Meridian was the perfect name for it - a good balance of flavors. The Va, oriental, and latakia were each distinct, yet no one flavor dominated. The flavors were strong, without being overpowering - strong enough, in fact, to overcome the stench of the dead fish that Connor somehow managed to find and very proudly dropped at my feet :roll:
Haddo's Delight was my evening smoke, and a perfect evening smoke it was - smooth, sweet, and just a little fruity. It seemed to me that its flavor profile was very similar to McBaren's Plumcake, without being quite so heavy and rich. In fact, that's been my one....complaint (although that's way too strong of a word) about Plumcake is that it's so rich it's almost like smoking dessert. And like any other dessert, I enjoy it immensely, but only occasionally. Haddo's was light enough that while it still seems to be more of an after-dinner smoke, I could probably enjoy it every day, or at least several times a week.
Both tobaccos impressed me with their quality. Both smoked cool and burned clean, with absolutely zero tongue bite no matter how much I over-puffed as I carried the dead fish to the trash. And both came straight out of the tin ready to smoke with no drying time required - a first for me, at least as far as tinned tobacco goes. I very much enjoyed both of them, and I'm sure they'll both become part of my regular smoking rotation.
Ya know, I think they've made me a little psychic - I foresee trying other GL Pease varieties in the future!

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Those are two of my three favorite blends! (Third being Key Largo) Great write up, and glad you enjoyed them both. I would highly recommend all of the Old London series (My preference order: M>L>QN>CM>S>N), and the classic collection is my second favorite bunch. Also, if you happen to get your hands on any Bohemian Scandal FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT SMOKE IT!!! Seriously, just send it over to me, I'll rid you of its burden. Trust me, it's the right thing to do.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
If you're looking for other G.L.Pease creations, Cairo and Two Friends' (Tarler & Pease) Valle Crucis are in the same vein.
Yay! Two more to add to the list. I'm gonna need a bigger piece of paper :D

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I've just about finished off my 2oz. tin of Haddo's Delight, and I love it. It is very similar to Plumcake as you said. I will definitely be ordering more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.