PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
This will be the first time I have actually done a review for a tobacco product that I have smoked as well as a review based off the first smoking from the tin, so I'm not very likely to show the same amount of grace as JimInks, nor do I have as sophisticated of a palate, but here goes nothin'.
Upon popping this tin open last night, the smokey aroma of the Cyprian Latakia curled out from amongst the throng of black and golden leaves and slowly filled my nose. The apparent moisture content of the tin was almost perfect, but having been bitten by the moist leaf before, I cautiously spread out a little and let it dry for about 15 minutes before packing my bowl. I used my MM Charles Towne Cobbler to slowly fill the bowl and once ready, lit the top with a match making sure to evenly light the entire top.
The initial puffing as I lit, hit me with the latakia almost immediately which then seemed to give way to the orientals. The floral sensation was divine as I retro-haled through the last puff once lit. Then I sat back and enjoyed the taste of dark chocolate and slight hints of caramel as I slowly sipped away. I'm not sure if was me, but I began to have subtle hints of tea wisps on the air as I breathed the smoke and exhaled through my nose. It was something like the smell of a strong English tea.
I didn't have so much of a hint at any tongue bite as I slowly sipped away at my pipe, completely falling away into relaxation. I got to around a half a bowl left and began to notice the creaminess of the blend as I continued to taste different flavors, trying to determine where the spiciness that I was sensing came from. It really is a silky smooth smoke. I didn't have to relight once, but did have to pay attention to my tamping to make sure I wasn't tamping too hard to put it out, but just enough to ease that ember right on down to that delicious little weed.
I have to admit, I was a little sad when I finished the bowl, but look very much forward to my next. This is one English blend I could smoke all day, every day. Unfortunate that they've sold out over at smoking pipes, or I might have bought another tin or few to add to my small cellar. One-time alert time! If you haven't tried it and enjoy smooth, yet somewhat stronger English blends, and get a chance to pick one up, I would highly recommend G.L. Pease Maltese Falcon.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Thanks! I had this on my SP Wishlist and by the time I went to order they were already gone.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
so I'm not very likely to show the same amount of grace as JimInks
Nonsense. You posted a great review. And PM me when you run out of the Falcon as I'm loaded for bear on this one because it's my Desert Island smoke.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I opened one a few months ago and immediately thought it was too dry. Wrong...it smoked perfectly. Thanks for the great review!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I opened one a few months ago and immediately thought it was too dry. Wrong...it smoked perfectly.
I almost thought the same thing, but after pulling some out to load into my pipe, I pinched a good bit together and it didn't exactly clump together, but was on the line, so I thought I'd let it dry a tad first. After smoking a few bowls, I could likely do it right from the tin if I smoked it a little slower, but it's so good, I had to watch myself to keep from burning it too hot. Just didn't want to entertain the bite on the first bowl of a blend I had been dying to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.