PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
For those of you who are not familiar with this blend it is a red virginia/perique flake. About a year ago I bought two small tins of this and smoked one at the time. I was reasonably impressed, but it seemed sort of bland and I really couldn't get a good side stream out of the bowl.
Tonight I opened a tin with date stamp 051512, so I guess it was tinned in May of 2012. In the year or so that it sat in my cellar the perique has ripened, I guess is the best word for it. The tobacco now has a stronger, very nice musty, old time pipey note. The smoke was very rich and the side stream spicy and substantial.
I guess what I'm saying is I am sort of amazed at the apparent improvement in this blend in a fairly short amount of cellar time. Not to be a commercial, but I look forward to seriously laying down some of this for future pipes. Good show, Mr. Pease!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That doesn't surprise me. My first experience with Cumberland (VA, Dark Fired Kentucky, Perique) was from a 10-year old tin. Loved it. Just cracked open a new tin and it was a totally different tobacco -- very moist and "young."

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I smoked my first and (so far) only tin of Fillmore as soon as I got it and really liked it, to the last bowlfull. I may need to put two tins in the next order and age one.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the review, sallow; and also for the heads-up, 'dawg. I've got a tin of each in the cellar with

about a year of age on them. I'll try to resist the temptation for another year.
(I don't smoke Latakia, but as for the other types, I don't think I've ever had a Pease blend that was less than stellar.) :clap:

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I smoked about three bowls of a new tin before I jarred the rest. I found it a bit muddled and stirred up. I've really enjoyed the other Pease blends I've had so in a year or so I'm going to give Fillmore another try.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice! I've got a couple tins of Fillmore aging. Got to be about 2 years old by now. Telegraph Hill is another of my favorite GLP blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.