PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Just opened my first GL Pease tin. Its Cairo ( I decided to start with it since I was born in that city!) and its fantastic! I've never tasted anything like this before!
Just wondering if any of you guys had a recent batch and it was on the dry side. Is that by design? The numbers on the tin are "1 30 15" so I'm assuming its January tinned. Also if someone can describe the tin aroma. Its heavenly but I cannot quite put my hand on it! What comes to mind is fine cognac!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hello Skywalker, Which Cairo? It's generally better for your tobacco to lean toward the dry side for cooler burning, but you must learn what works best for you. If you ever want to rehydrate a tin or bag of tobacco make sure you use distilled water, or you can use a bit of distilled adult beverage of your choice. The home page here has an article on rehydration.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Pease blends tend to come ready to smoke. The consumer not only gets 2 oz instead of 50 gr per tin but you don't pay for water weight. Cairo is a top 10 blend for me.It ages well too. I don't know what the added flavor is but it sure complements the Orientals.
Mike S.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Thanks! Been reading and dreaming about tasting this man's creations for months and Cairo certainly delivered. I read somewhere online that Cairo is everything a cigarette can never be given that its taste is close to cigarettes somehow and now I know what they meant :).
I think I'm gonna finish the tin in one day!! Its heaven in a tin.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
To me, the tin aroma (which carries on throughout the smoke), seems to be fruity -- perhaps a ginger liqueur. I like this best as an after dinner smoke. Nice showcase for Oriental leaf. Other Pease blends in the same family of flavors are Haddo's Delight and, if you like a touch of Latakia, Two Friends Valle Crucis.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pease does amazing work, I killed my first tin of Sixpence in one day! Cairo is also one of those blends that makes you want to come back for more. Trying to keep out of my cellar to let my Pease offerings age a little, but temptation is terrible!

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Quick update on the original question re. dryness of the product.
I hydrated it a bit by placing a damp paper towel (distilled water) and sealed the jar. Cairo now smokes very hot in the same Pipe I've been using for it for the past 2 days. I guess Pease knows exactly what's he's doing :D

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Greg's Cairo is a wonderful example of how well Orientals / Turkish can be woven into a blend.
It is not as well known as it deserves, but then again he offers so many good mixtures that sometimes I lose track of previous hits as I gorge on the latest releases such as Six Pence and Gas Light.
It ages gracefully and is well worth cellaring for the long haul.
Having been to to the fascinating city of Cairo twice, I always dwell on my memories of it when I fire up a bowl of this great baccy.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Cairo: my first Pease blend and still among my favorites. I don't know that I would say it comes "dry", but certainly ready to smoke right outta the gates. Then again, I like my tobacco on the dry-ish side.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I haven't smoked all of Greg's blends, but I have tried at least a dozen. I would grade them in general, from Very Good to Perfect. Not a one has disappointed.
Pax

aengus

Lurker
Mar 27, 2015
I too like Cairo's moisture content and its aging qualities. Unlike many tobacco's I enjoy, this one is unique in that I prefer the first half of the smoke much more than the last.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Fate had it that I actually enjoyed the rest of my Cairo tin in Cairo (the city!!). The trip was completely unplanned (sudden death of a family member that I had to travel for) but the coincidence was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.