PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hi all,
I bought a tin of it online from SmokingPipes months ago, but I never got myself to smoke it for a simple reason.

It stinks.

It smells like a garbage bag in which old oranges and lemons have gotten rotten.

It has a very citrus-y smell that I find hard to deal with.
Is that normal ?
Thanks for your comments.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Various tobaccos don't smell good in the tin or bag. Two excellent blends typify this. McClellands Virginia Red Cake 5100 is famous for smelling a lot like ketchup, but once fired up it's pure elegant Virginia. Tobac-Manil Semois comes in a foil paper package and is unusually dry; it smells like someone swept the horse barn and put it in the package. It's a Belgium grown burley variant. Once lit, to those who like it, it smokes like a single-leaf blend, a rich, robust, earthy taste. Others really hate it, but it's among my favorites. Many other blends taste far better than they smell. Quite a few others smell far, far better than they taste...a lot of aromatics in that category especially.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Barbary Coast is the top shelf OTC style blend. My family loves the tin note. Has mold gotten to it? Not that I've ever had a mold problem, just heard it stinks like rotten composte.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
So are you guys saying that it's normal, the tin smell of Barbary Coast IS indeed particular ?

I was maybe a little strong when comparing it to garbage, but it does have a smell of rotten fruit.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
1792 flake smells a bit like fertilizer, but it's great stuff once you let the chemical warfare agent known as "tonquin" evaporate.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Smoke it....let us know what you think. Should be good

Rotten fruit, yes, yummm... That tin must have some age on it. Did you check the date on the bottom of the tin? Good aged tobacco can have a rotten fruit of vegetable smell. But, nothing like garbage, or maybe my garbage can is just particularly bad.

If it has a visible white mold, then throw it away.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hey all, thanks for the advice.

I'll try it and tell you what. In the end, that's the only thing to do, isn't it?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Smoke a bowl or two and see what you think. If you don't like it jar it up and throw it in the cellar for a few months. Then go back to it and see what you think. :puffy:

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
What have you been smoking up to this point? If you've only experienced heavily topped aromatics I can see why this would be shocking.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
@jkrug: I'll follow that sound piece of advice.
@ericusrex : hmm, not only aromatics. I have a bit of everything I think. It's the only one that smells that kind of smell.
By the way, i smoked it and though I am not sure I really liked it for a first try, it didn't present the taste of its smell. I'll give it another go when I am quietly on my balcony instead of wandering around and not being able to focus on what I was doing.

If I don't like it, I'll do what jkrug suggests, jar it up, leave it on the shelf for a few month and see what happens later.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The only problem I've ever experienced with

Barbary Coast is proper packing. It needs a

Gentle touch. Pay no attention to the tin note

it only matters before struck with a match.

Mike S.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
There's a certain smell to white burley that's started the fermentation process. I opened a tin of Burley Flake #2 a month or two back that smelled like a neglected dumpster at first. After a few days the smell had largely dissipated. It still has a strange, unruley funk to it, but it's fantastic in the pipe. Give it some air time to settle down and give it another go. There's a whole world of microfauna in there cranking away before the tin is popped, and sometimes it needs some time for all the dust to settle.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Rotten? Composting, barnyard, smells may be quite natural to fermentation, but I would steer clear of anything that has the odor of decomposition ( as in flesh or eggs and shows signs of white or black dried mold, as Michael says. Low acid organics in a low oxygen condition environment ie: canned goods, can produce very unpleasant playmates. Even minute amounts of these can, when ingested, can bring about harmful effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.