PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I recently got one of those "giant" pipes from Nording, and it is truly huge, so huge I'm wondering about owning it. Does it look silly to smoke/have such a pipe? I haven't smoked mine yet because I might have to return it, though I long to smoke it. It's like holding a raw steak in front of a hungry dog. But giant pipe owners, what do you think? Everyone else chime in, too.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have a couple of Peterson House pipes, which are considered XXL sized, though they don't _seem_ to be overly big for me (at 6' 4" tall).
They do provide a good long smoke, perfect for reading a good book and otherwise relaxing after a long day. I don't worry if it looks silly, as few people watch me smoke, anyway. As long as I am happy, all is well.
Peterson03.jpg

Peterson11.jpg

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Three of my pipes are pretty large which basically means I don't smoke them as often as the others ... all are good smokers, but a bowl will last for at least an hour or more (not to mention the quantity of tobacco consumed at one sitting) and on the occasions that I DO smoke one of them, I generally find myself wishing I'd enlisted for a less lengthy engagement ... the overwhelming majority of my pipes are medium size at best and I have quite a few that are small by most standards ...
My son has an absolutely HUGE pipe that he really likes and on the occasions that he brings that one with him when he comes by to smoke with me, I end up smoking two of my medium sized pipes and still finish before he does.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I had a huge Peterson Billiard house pipe, I sent it off to a good home as I hardly smoked it. In return I received a Peterson Aran billiard in a size more to my liking.

I recently bought a huge meer billiard, I was surprised by its size when I got it, but kept it as I just love meer pipes and this one is so light for its size.
it is about 7.5 inches in length and my entire(huge) thumb fits in the bowl.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have some large chambered pipes, but I do not think they fall into the "huge" category. Nonetheless, most of my pipes would fall in the small category, I am a smaller guy myself, and very rarely will I reach for my larger pipes as the smoke just takes so darn long to finish. They are what I consider my special occasion pipes :)

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Giant pipes are great! Especially when I want to have a really good session. Best suited to rough/ribbon cut english blends. I would also prescribe a 1 litre stein of beer to go with it!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I love giant pipes, they exude manliness, and look cool. I've got a block of briar in the shop set aside for a jumbo pipe. I'm thinking about a large billiard for it, but not sure yet, we will see what shape the briar says. Here is my big boy. Don Carlos.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Giant Giant

GiantSmoking_zps72170006.jpg

Screen Giant

EGR_zpsda4279af.jpg

Literary Giant

twain_zps5bba4523.jpg

Guy with Giant Arms

popeye_zps0332545e.jpg

New York Giants

nygiants_zps4b3591ec.jpg

(Can't find a Gas Giant, but I'm still looking.)

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
I have a very large Polinski Oom Paul that I just love to hold and look at. The problem is it has been a bear to break in seeing as I am a once or twice a week smoker. The big ones also just hold sooooo much.
Here is a similar pipe to mine:
Polinski
This is the biggest I've yet seen. Lumberjack from Mr. Brog:
Lumberjack
The funny thing is, I love the look of the big guns but have been getting into flakes and am looking at Group 1 and 2 sized pipes now. :)

moosecop

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
I like the Peterson Bent House pipes.. but the Boswell ( I think they called Magnums) are a little weird.. they look uncomfortable to smoke..

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I love large pipes but only smoke them when I'm perched in my chair for the night. It's really satisfying to me to hold on and enjoy a long evening smoke and an old movie with my wife...
1954 Dunhill ODA 835 Rootbrier

Baki Calabash with Block Meerschaum Bowl

Large Carved Meerschaum (I call her my Cinnamon Girl)

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Here is a picture of my ugly mug and my largest pipe: a Mr. Brog XL pear wood pipe. I don't smoke it too often because it is definitely not a clencher, but it smokes great. Mr. Brog has some of the best/affordable large pipes.

Here's a picture of it in the hand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the first two Christmas pipes my wife bought me was an impressively large Joh's semi-rusticated

1/4 bent apple. It's the perfect pipe for a long cogitation in a rocker. I love my medium sized and small

pipes, but when a thoughtful session requires uninterrupted ratiocination, it's the Big Apple every time.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Those are some weird shaped tits on that chick on the meer pipe, lol. Kind of like 80s madonna with the cones. I think it's good to have a good selection of small to large pipes in your collection, so depending on the situation you can choose appropriately which pipe you want to smoke and for how long. My biggest pipe is probably a Spanu F3. It has a huge chamber and is quite a hefty piece of briar. Here are the dims:
Pipe length x bowl height 6.48" x 2.42"

Chamber depth x diameter 2.02" x 0.87"

Weight: 3.5 oz.

Status
Not open for further replies.