PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkcloud

Lurker
Jun 21, 2013
Do aromatics tend to ghost a pipe more than English blends? I have a pipe dedicated to each style and am trying to decide what I'll smoke in my newly acquired pipe.

As always, the advice that I receive here is most welcome.

Jon

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Strong latakia blends can be difficult, if not impossible to erase. Some members the same thing about aromatics with pronounced toppings. It would seem that it's a matter of strength of the ingredients more than specific variety.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I find Lat blends can ghost, but that the ghost can be smoked out over time. Aros, in my opinion leave a permanent mark on the pipe that is more difficult to move. I like you have pipes for each style of blend and a few solely dedicated to my favourite tobaccos.

+1 sablebrush,

I have a couple of pipes that I enjoy the aro ghost mixed with a VA or VaPer. It kind of makes it a new blend.
A Lakeland ghost, just crush that baby with the heal of your boot. It takes an old school VooDoo priestess and a dozen sacrificed chickens to remove those ghosts.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
+1 on the Lakelands, cosmic!
I ghosted one of my cherrywood meers with G&H Ennerdale Flake. Up to that point, I'd smoked everything I could stuff into that thing, aros, lats, Vapers, you name and nothing. ONE bowl of Ennerdale Flake and it was ghosted. Mrenglish warned me, too. Thats okay, its now dedicated. Bring it on G&H, bring it on!

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
+1 James.
I've probably ghosted a couple of pipes with latakia, since that's my predominant blend, but I notice even a whiff of aromatic so much more. Perhaps since it's a style I don't care for, the perfumeyness of the aro just cuts straight through the rough smokey smell of the lat and I can't seem to shake it, eventhough its probably all in my head.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I always seem to think that every blend tastes better in my well seasoned Peterson 317. While I like to think it's because the pipe has great dimensions for a smoke, and is so well broken in, a huge part of it is probably the Condor/Ennerdale ghost. It has had pounds of lakelands through it. I love it.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I always thought the concept of ghosting was a bit overrated. Sure some blends leave a hint of aroma behind but not enough that it ever bothered me.
...then I smoked Ennerdale

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
A Lakeland ghost, just crush that baby with the heal of your boot. It takes an old school VooDoo priestess and a dozen sacrificed chickens to remove those ghosts.

That's pretty accurate! I have a Kaywoodie Lovat I now live but thought was doomed to the ghost of Lakelands gone by - from the previous owner. But it took several salt/alcohol treatment and retorts to get it smokeable (for me).

monsterbear

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
I've not had much ghosting in my pipes except where a strong Latakia is concerned. I think this is one of those things in the pipe world that has many different dimensions and is maybe subject to over indulgence. So just smoke your pipes and enjoy them, but if a stronger blend comes through, very well; try to smoke complementing blends so that the ghosting may enhance what you smoke.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I tried to dedicate my pipes between the lats and va's, but I know that I switch them now and again without ill effect, at least to me
With poly glycol aros, that's a different story. I have one pipe set aside just for that and won't ever mix

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I like to ghost with the navigator, then switch to the triple play.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
darkcloud:
To me, "ghosting" refers to a taste that permeates every bowl for 40, 60, or more smokes after you've moved on to another blend. By that definition, true ghosting is very rare. It's par for the course for the Lakeland-style blends, but it's something you'll likely experience with only a small handful of others -- and, depending on your tastes, you may never smoke a blend that actually ghosts a pipe.
Smoke three or four bowls of any new blend in a pipe and you'll likely have burned away all traces of the previous blend. Just remember not to put too much weight on what you think of those first three or four bowls; your opinion will likely change once the new blend has had a chance to really come through clearly.
Bob

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have a set of pipes dedicated to Virginas and VaPers, and another set of pipes dedicated to blends with Latakia. I only smoke Lakelands in cobs, and I always smoke aromatics in meers.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.