PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Recently I watched a PBS documentary called Ghost Army, about the 23rd Headquarters Special Troops in World War 2. This was perhaps the most fascinating war documentary I have seen. Amazing what this bunch of guys pulled off. What was also very conspicuous in the documentary was many men smoking pipes. Many, many pipes.
Enjoy. It is available on Netflix streaming.
Bill

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
We watched that a month or so ago ... very cool how they pulled it off!
I never realized the extent of usage of those tactics.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Two of the men in the GA were friends of mine, and Vic Dowd, former comic book artist was interviewed on film for the documentary. The other man, Bob Boyajian, was also a comic book artist, and though he was interviewed for the film, did not appear on camera.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Makes me wonder what kinds of deception tactics are being used these days. Those ops stayed classified a good long while. Brave bunch of guys to put themselves out there like that with very little actual defense.
Jiminks - I'll bet your friends have some great stories.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Bob Boyajian and Vic Dowd, along with their fellow Captain Marvel artist and Pratt Institute alumni Ken Bald, talked to me about their comic book careers and told a few war experiences for print. For those who don't know, I am an associate editor of Alter Ego magazine, which chronicles the Golden and Silver Ages of comic books. My interviews with the three men are available here if you're interested: http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=341

purplemotoman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I have this documentary saved in my movie collection. It was very interesting to watch.

Jan 8, 2013
I just finished watching it on Netflix. With me, its hit and miss with documentaries... I'm either going to like it or I'm going to be bored to tears. I didn't like this documentary. I freaking LOVED it! You can't help but like the guys being interviewed. And to see their sketches (as many of them were artists) was an added bonus. Great show. Well worth a watch with a bowlful of tobacco. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.