PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've posted a few times regarding my new found love the GH blends and I have to say, every time I try something new I'm further convinced that they do not a produce a blend I don't like.
I know these floral Lakeland style blends are love or hate, but seriously I don't know what took me so long to try Ennerdale. This stuff is absolutely sublime from beginning to end. The virginias in this one burn well when fully rubbed out and the floral notes, although noticeable in high proportions, create an amazing smoke that I just couldn't put down. To me this is what an aromatic should be. Some may call it soapy and I can see why, but I just can't get enough.
Guess I found what my next 500 gram box from GH will be :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't smoke it all the time, but I feel the same way about Ennerdale. I love the topping and the Virginias are just wonderful.
I get the soapy smell (shampoo?), but I don't get anything floral from Ennerdale. To me it's more like fruity flavors and maybe vanilla.
BTW, if you like Ennerdale, you should try Grasmere. It's mostly rose and geranium (no funky musk or heliotrope), so it's definitely floral, but soft, and it has very similar VAs to Ennerdale.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I hear you loud and clear. Glad you like it. It's also really good folded and stuffed. Try smoking a straight Virginia or even some otc burley like prince albert in the same pipe. The ghost will make it taste great. I also always buy by the 500 gr. box. Ennerdale to me is an aromatic lakeland with a good amount of nicotine. People around love the smell. Definitely the most intense lakeland and a top seller.
My second favorite lakeland flake these days is Kendal Cream Flake. More subdued, but so good in the morning when my palate is just waking up.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Pitchfork, do you smoke both Ennerdale and Grasmere in the same pipe? Do the ghosts compete with each other? (I like both blends but have kept them separate.)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
jbbaldwin, I smoke them in the same pipes. In fact, I smoke enough Lakelands in these pipes that the different ghosts sort of even each other out. Grasmere has a more delicate flavor, so there definitely could be some benefit from dedicating a pipe, but I don't smoke enough of it to make it worth while at this point.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
bryanf - I went through a stage where I was smoking much Kendal Cream Flake. It is a fine tobacco. I should open another tin.
I can smell Ennerdale in my nose hours after I put the pipe down.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
You guys that smoke Kendal Cream Flake -- how does it compare to Ennerdale or G&H Kendal Flake?

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
The lakeland sauce is much more subdued in Kendal Cream Flake. You taste more of the tobacco, with the floral sweetness there, but more in the background. Kendal flake has nearly as much flavor as Ennerdale to me, but predominately heliotrope. KCF has really become a favorite of mine for the morning commute to my office, when my tastebuds are still waking up and Ennerdale would be too much of a shock. But KCF would also be a good all day smoke. Nicotine is about same strength as Ennerdale. I think KCF would be a good intro to lakelands, as Ennerdale could be too much for many smokers.
Although all the typical lakelands have some Burley, the nuttiness of it comes through more in KCF to me than any other lakeland I've tried. If you like lakelands, but also (like me) enjoy tobacs like Best Brown, Erinmore, and ST James Flake, I would be sure you'd like Kendal Cream Flake. Not that they are similar, but that maybe we have similar tastes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Although all the typical lakelands have some Burley, the nuttiness of it comes through more in KCF to me than any other lakeland I've tried. If you like lakelands, but also (like me) enjoy tobacs like Best Brown, Erinmore, and ST James Flake, I would be sure you'd like Kendal Cream Flake. Not that they are similar, but that maybe we have similar tastes.
That sounds amazing, actually. I love burleys and Lakelands -- I'm going to have to try this one at some point.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I don't get lakeland from Kendal Cream. I had RB plug that was similar to GH dark but way more perfumey. I get the "stop and smell the roses" bit. Lakeland is for a sophisticated palate. Now you have me thinking Ennerdale. Thanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.