PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
As a result of the adoption of a Toronto Board of Health recommendation by Toronto City Council on November 13 (amazed they could get anything done while they were watching the Mayor implode), the following places/spaces will be made smoke-free in Toronto:
a. public building entrances and exits;

b. outdoor sports fields and parks amenities;

c. swimming beaches;

d. public squares;

e. public parklets;

f. bar and restaurant patios; and

g. hospital grounds.
As a result of the adoption, of the report by City Council we can expect to need to find a new home for our next GTA Pipe Smokers' Burner and Swap Meet. I haven't seen an announcement as to when these changes will go into play, I'm sure it will be in the local news.
Further the Toronto Medical Officer of Health requested that the Province amend the Smoke Free Ontario Act (2006) to:
a. prohibit smoking on all uncovered bar and restaurant patios; and

b. prohibit smoking on all hospital grounds.
God help the bylaw enforcement officers who try to enforce the non-smoking bylaw on the patio at The Black Bull.
Here is a link to the TBH recommendations: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.HL24.3
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As if Toronto citizens don't have enough on their hands with their runaway locomotive mayor. I hope pipers

can find some public spaces they can use, or private spaces with pubic access, etc., for a quiet bowl of tobacco.

Apparently it isn't impossible to find a place to smoke a little crack in public. Seriously, though, I wish you

luck and some enlightened understanding.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
protect-liberty-1-1-1.jpg

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Pat,
While I feel for you, where I live in NJ has had pretty much those same 7 spaces except for public swimming beaches and certain bars that have somehow circumvented the patio thing by putting patios outside for the sole purpose of smoking.
It is rather unfortunate my friend but to be honest I abhor cigarette smoke SO MUCH that I am willing to suffer the consequences.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
@Yaz

So, because you don't care for something, it is just fine to take something away from someone else?
That is how a host of right are taken away. I find your sensitivity interesting in your ability to be offended in breezy, open air location as some of those location have to be described.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
@jkenp
I DO NOT think its the governments place to take any of our rights away. It's all about saving the whales, the seals, the trees, and now the children. It is very easy for the puppets in government to be swayed to punish or take away anything that deals with the "sin" hobbies (smoking, gambling, etc) and they can then tell everyone how great they are due to the legislation that they enacted.
All I said is that I truly hate cigarette smoke, but not enough to stop me from going to my local bar to eat wings, drink a few beers, and watch the game.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
It's a fact of life in T.O. Just another thing that everyone gets used to sooner or later. I still remember when I was able to smoke on the plane, and in my restaurants. Things change, and considering that I smoke in my car and at home the most, it doesn't really change much. When was the last time you were able to smoke at a football game or stadium? Hard to remember. The thing is, the by-law enforcement officers are few, and actually getting a ticket at, say, a park would be rare.

Welcome to the new age...
Shutterbug

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Actually, I think they should bar the Toronto mayor from all those public building entrances and exits.
He should be banned from appearing on any beaches in the shape he's in and certainly no bars. I mean, he's already big as a bar.
And he's been in too many restaurants already.
It is pathetic to see a public figure who can help formulate laws against pipes and tobacco and get away with smoking crack and running down a councilwoman like a wild rhino.

Status
Not open for further replies.