PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I need to sell many pipes. My problem is my attachment to some of the pipes that I have refurbished. For instance sanding down a bowl, or putting a new stem on it, or fixing a stem with layers of black super glue, or patching a bowl with fireplace cement. All these take time, and now some still dont smoke as well as I would like or, I just don't like them as well as I thought I would, nothing complicated. For you referbers, how do you get over wanting to keep some of your pipes that take alot of time to repair or fix up? (I will keep some of them of course)
For example, I have a Yellow Bole Imperial,It has the 4 digit code on the side. So a 40's or before Kaywoodie second, it had a stinger in it when I got it, that pulled right out. I had to fix a cracked mouth piece. I have smoked it probably six times. There is pretty much no cake in it. Every time it has burned my tounge, but I like the idea of it. It is going bye bye.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is a tough one, especially considering that some real ugly ducklings blossom into real swans. This

may sound nuts, but I'd keep the two sets of pipes, yours and the refurbs, in two distinctly different places,

with maybe a third area for "candidates for keeping." To not have an infinite collection where you don't smoke

half your pipes, and don't remember some of them, you might want to cull your own collection from time to

time. I used to sell off pipes to upgrade the "herd," but I find it harder and harder, as more of the pipes are

gifts (I don't sell) or have stories behind them. By the time I invested the time to refurb a pipe, I think I'd be

stuck with it. I have to be especially careful about inexpensive pipes because it is surprising what nice briar

and good smokers you can get at the low-end in price.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have alot of "oh, I wanted to try this brand because I saw or heard on the interwebs that it was a good smoker" But having so many really does make the problem of what should I smoke. Or what do I have that I know smokes well and even remembering between a rotation of 4O plus. I have refurbed a great many of the pipes I have, with only a couple that had been smoke less than 10 times when i got them. Oh and cobs were new. I have a couple of unsmoked ones sitting around that I should probably sell. I guess I need to make the might get rid of pile larger.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I do two things.
1) I want quite a few high end pipes and my way of funding the hobby is to sell refurbushed pipes. This means selling a few gems I happen upon. Will power to do this is hard, but number two helps me with this.
2) I travel frequently. I have a four pipes case that I bring with me. I will load the pipe case with one regular smoker and the rest are pipes I hardly ever smoke. I force myself to smoke them on the trip and if I don't enjoy the smoke to the point of just being speachless, it goes straight into a bin I have at home. When the bin gets full I list them for sale.
When I got the new high end pipe I have just been drooling over for a few months, the heart ache for leeting those few gems go is all worth it. I now have a Mark Tinsky and a Ferndown to show for it and am working my way to another.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
I like that strategy, eaglerico. I keep a number of refurbed pipes that I don't smoke. They stare at me reproachfully, as though singlehandedly they are keeping me from buying more used pipes. I'm not sure if it's working or not.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I sold a few this year that were difficult, but the proceeds helped fund even nicer pieces that I had been trying to acquire. My pipe funds are not unlimited, so I try to make every sale and purchase count. My rationale is try to and stay at 40 or under regular smokers, that keeps me grounded and helps make good purchase/sale decisions.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm real pleased to see this thread, as I've been a hoarder of pipes since I started getting into restorations. I'm convinced now that it's not just an attachment to them, it's pure laziness. I just don't feel like going through the process of selling them. Very lame, I admit.
Despite that, I know that I should turn them over at some point. There is no way I need a collection of this size, and I really love restorations so I'll just keeping adding more. (With less urgency as when I started of course.) I love rescuing these pipes, and it would be great to send them to a home where they'll be appreciated again. I don't make resolutions, but I'm going to get moving on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.