PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
The passing of Joan Rivers once again reminds me that life at least in this world isn't forever.It seems that almost every day I read or hear of some one who dies that isn't that much older than me..As we get older we lose the strength and energy that we once had.Our old bodies hurt more and we just can't seem to do the things we used to do.I'm 72 now and I think about how much I've changed in the last 15 years and wonder what 15 years from now will be like..Dont take this as feeling sorry for myself.I live a great life.I plan to live the rest of it with all the gusto my ageing body can muster.If you're one of the young ones here enjoy it.It doesn't seem to last that long.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Too true, puffy. I'm 10 years younger than you but have come to realize that I just can't do the things I did 20 years ago. But every day is a gift and every year a treasure. I tell the younger folks that the years go by faster than they can imagine and that life is a long-distance event, not a sprint. There's just some stuff you need to learn on your own. However, I do get a kick out of my daughter and her friends fretting over things that wouldn't even hit my radar screen. Ah youth, it is truly wasted on the young.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Life is short. Maybe especially if you hit your nineties. I like to think after Vietnam,

the rest is gravy, and long may the gravy flow. Let the good times roll.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I was excited by my first white hair, then I got another...not so exciting anymore. But, I do look forward to that distinguished look everyone keeps talking about.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Actually, I feel better now than I did 10 years ago when I retired. Much less jet lag since I now cross time zones only for family, fishing, pipe shows vacations and other pleasurable pursuits. I loved working but eating out and on the road is not as healthy as my wife's excellent home cooking. I have the time to watch my health now and have even joined a gym (2 years now). For the first time in my life, I actually exercise and have lost about 30 pounds, probably by watching salt intake (can't do that too well when always eating out). Using the gym's machines, I seem to be stronger than even when I was young (though I never was that strong to begin with). Blood pressure, cholesterol etc are all better too - I had high BP in my 20s. And since I took pipes up again 7 years ago, my mental state is more tranquil. I'm a better driver than when I had a pair of BMWs and just no longer need the excitement - and stress - of exciting driving.
hp

les

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
I am 24 years old,(barely out of diapers compared to some of you guys) and I cherish everyday I have. It's a gift.
Just reading some of the posts and hanging out with some older guys, (much preferred, you guys have all the good stories), I feel inspired and a little better about looking into the future.
I respect every one of you old codgers and curmudgeons, you salty dogs and old farts. To be where you are now, took blood, toil, tears and sweat. I only hope as I age, I'll be able to have the bearing of will to be able to enjoy myself as much. For now, I have my own toil to get through, and a lovely woman I intend to marry some day.
Good health, every blessing, and merry smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.