PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Keep in mind that in order to remember what happened on this date 50 years one would have to be getting old.I remember the shock of that day.It's really hard for me to comprehend though that it was so long ago,and that 50 years of my life have gone by in what seems like much less time than that.If I could relate a couple of thought as to things that I've learned in that time..I would rather be able to eat what I want than to be rich..Love is the most important thing in my life..If I could go back and start my pipe smoking career over.I would buy only high grade pipes,and smoke only top quality tobacco in them.Of course I would need to make more money than I did the first time around...If you're not there yet the #1 thing I've learned obout getting old { It Hurts }

chaplainmike

Lurker
Oct 7, 2013
Couldn't agree with you more. Someone said to me once a while back "Getting old is not for sissies!" How true, how true.
I would add one thing I learned too to your list. You're not promised tomorrow so make sure you do and say things that really matter today.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
puffy ... you want to look at it from an even more shocking perspective? ... think about this date in '63 and then look back from there in contemplation of some event in 1913 ... how much further back does that seem to you than '63 does now?
and, while getting old hurts in some respects, it beats the (stuffing) out of the alternative ...

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Puffy, I don't know if it hurts, but it sure is humbling & educational. But way better than the alternative.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My great-grandma used to crack me up when she would say ...
"Whoever called it the Golden Age is NUTS! It's more like the Rusty Age!!" LOL
She was a fantastic, ornery woman.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
This song says it all for me, time and tide wait for no one. :puffy:
http://youtu.be/F3c-WBn5cCg

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
My dad used to say that the first thing he did after waking up in the morning was open the morning paper and check the obituary section. Then, if his name wasn't among those listed, he knew that he could go about his day.

Jan 8, 2013
Here's a neat little thing to make you feel older. Count the decades you've lived in instead of the years. For example. I'm only 39. But I was born in 1974. So if you look it at like that, living through the 70's 80's 90's 00's and 10's I've been alive in 5 decades 8O
Some of you are going to hate me for this post lol

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm still young, but I've been very rough on my body, especially when I was in my teens. I'm really starting to pay for it now! So yes, getting old sucks, but it's better than pushing up daisies!

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
"When I was young, I always wanted to be older. But this sh*t isn't what I had in mind!"

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
A few years ago I was talking with my mom, I was complaining about body parts that just didn't seem to be as good as they used to be. At 86 she listened to me whine without interrupting, when I finished she just looked me in the eye and said "It isn't going to get any better." I realized I'd been whining so I chuckled and shut up. Getting old is definitely not for sissys.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My Brain is young, my Body ain't, jobs around the farm swirl in my head completed on time, fast and easy, why is it such a chore just to go to the mailbox? :crying:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!!
Always loved that quote!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But I was born in 1974.
1974 was a terrific year! It was certainly a good one for you!
1974 was an outstanding year for California Cabernets. I was doing with various UCLA coeds exactly what their parents were terrified we would be doing. I still had a full head of hair.
Now, my hair has migrated to other parts of my body and I'm a bit too rickety for the kinds of indoor sports that I used to practice.
If I don't do daily yoga I stiffen up like concrete. Aches and pains tend to hang around for a lot longer than they used to.
I still believe in opportunity. I still like to try out and learn new things and have new adventures. And I'm not done until they lower me into the ground.
Getting old sure beats the hell out of the alternative!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
49yrs old..... spent 20 of it cutting and stump piling 8' wood. Back is shot, knees are shot, neck is shot, arthritis in hands, but........ still working and life is good.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
One thing that has gotten better over the years is pipe smoking. When I was a lad of twelve, if I had 15 cents I would buy a tin of PA and smoke it in my $5 Kaywoodie. If I only had 11 cents, I would get Friends tobacco. Now I get to smoke Stonehaven or London Mixture or some other premium tobacco from a far off land in an Italian or Danish premium pipe. My body is worn out, but I smoke like a Royal.

Status
Not open for further replies.