PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
I really enjoy the flavour of tobacco but I don’t think I am trained enough yet to pick up all the notes of my tobacco that I could be. I will say that I am a new pipe smoker who does seem to have a handle on the packing of my bowl (The Frank Method) and sipping of my pipe to smoke and keep the tobacco burn going with minimal relighting. I think the big thing now for me is to just slow things down and enjoy the experience rather than being to focused on the mechanics of session. Aside from the process, how do you / did you train your pallet to detect the many nuances of your tobacco?

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
One thing I did was to smoke individual tobaccos. I would smoke english blends and could pick out the Latakia. I smoked a Virgina and then I knew that one of the other flavors I was tasting was a Virginia.
I then ordered bulk mixing tobaccos. I have Latakia, Perique, A couple of Turkish, Some Orientals, A bunch of different Virginias and Burley's. When you smoke them individually you will start to recognise their tastes and nuances. Careful with the Perique on it's own.
That is what worked for me. YMMV

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Good tip on picking up some individual tobaccos to help in detecting their respective notes in blends !

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
IMHO @maxsmoke, you are doing everything right. Keep puffing and learning. It’s a long journey and I’m just starting to “get it” after years of puffing.
Have you had a nirvana smoke yet? Get a couple of those and sh..t gets real. :puffpipe:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'd say that training the palate, aside from smoking over a period of time daily, is the concentrated effort to taste, as opposed to puffing, enjoyable in its own right, but as regards training the palate, lazy. Jim Inks has a world-class palate. Ask him.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Nirvana smoke ? Do tell please !
Assuming it’s ok to post a video .. I came across this video outlining a smoking method that one of my favourite pipe YouTubers posted. It’s seems to naturally slow one down and really take it easy. I can’t wait to give it a try with tomorrow’s smoke season. https://youtu.be/XggmvJUwmlc

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Have you had a nirvana smoke yet? Get a couple of those and sh..t gets real

Ive only had one that I would consider a nirvana smoke, Solani 633. Mind blown!!! Well I also had a nirvana smoke with a cigar. I didnt know it at the time, but Ive had a few since that have not lived up to the first. My Father Flor de la Antilles.
Lots of good advice above, if I were to add anything, is not to think about it too much. The best smokes come from going with it, instead of trying to over analyze. Smoke and be happy!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don’t think I am trained enough yet to pick up all the notes of my tobacco
I don't worry about it. I enjoy the composition as a whole and don't try to pick apart it's components. Too much work for something that is supposed to be relaxing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just a couple of thoughts. Trying different blending tobaccos is a good way to become aware of their presence in the blends that you're smoking, but also be aware that component tobaccos will have a much different taste from how they show up in a blend. The combination of various components is a little bit like alchemy.
Definitely smoke ssssslllllooooowwwwww to get what's in a blend and do so at a time when you can really focus on the blend, not while you're multitasking.
It's also good to know how to snork, that is easing the smoke slowly out through your nose. You have more flavor receptors in you schnoz than your mouth.
Last but not least, experiment with the moisture content of the blends you choose to smoke. Too much moisture masks flavors, and many tobaccos are tinned with excess moisture.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ive only had one that I would consider a nirvana smoke, Solani 633. Mind blown!!!
Joseph, was the 633 aged or fresh. I prefee 633 aged. Fresh its just another VaPer, but slap a couple of years on it and its GREAT.

Jan 8, 2013
https://i.imgur.com/5Bci2IV.jpg
It's really not that bad. I agree with trying blending tobaccos on their own. At least in a mini cob, or a clay, or a very small bowled briar, you can try a little bit of each condiment at a time. Some are higher in nicotine, and the smaller bowl will help prevent any unnecessary nicotine overload.

Pruss gave me some great pointers on practicing tasting. When the tobacco has a sweet flavor, try pinpointing what type of sweetness. Is it more of a deep molasses, or a caramel, or a brown sugar, or is it fruitier, like an apple or cherry?

If you get an earthy taste, is it deeper like the aroma of a swamp, or like a fresh plowed field, or is it brighter like freshly cut hay? He had a list of coffee tasting notes that I used to practice with. I tried using a list from a cigar tasting card, but I found the coffee one to have more of a range that translated better for pipe tobacco IMO.
It's just practice, and it helps you notice things in your tastes. And, it helps you understand when tasters say things like cherry or hay notes, when you might be thinking cherry as in an aromatic. Also, it will help you better notice that the tobacco is changing flavors as the bowl progresses. Sometimes a tobacco might start off all deep and chewy, like a wet baseball glove, and by mid bowl those flavors have transformed into nuttier flavors, like freshly roasted peanuts.
Then try using your notes from that blend to compare it to smoking it in a taller more narrow pipe, or a squattier wide chambered pipe. Make notes for yourself with several different pipes, and compare them. I think you'll start to notice more subtle changes in flavor.
As for perique... don't be afraid of it. I will occasionally smoke it straight, and it really is not big deal. I have no idea whatsoever why someone would be afraid of it. The worst I can say is that it gets very monochromatic in flavor. Same with smoking straight latakia. It's really nothing at all to be weary of. In fact, I enjoy doing this from time to time. Especially straight perique. It isn't a very strong tobacco by itself at all. But, mix the same stuff with a burley, then it gets strong.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The photo linked in Anthony's post:
5Bci2IV.jpg

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
I gave the “breath method” a try with my smoke tonight . It definitely helped me slow things down and get a much cooler smoke with only one relight needed. My tobacco of choice for this endeavour was Night Cap.
Over all it was an enjoyable smoke but I did find Night Cap to be a bit strong when smoking the breath method way. I think I was still a bit to focused on the mechanics and didn’t take enough breaks to allow the taste buds and tobacco a chance to rest . I was definitely able to detect more flavours from my Tobacco and I do see this method working, but again slow is the way to go.
I think tomorrow I will try some of my Virginia flake with something cold to drink on hand.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
The nirvana smoke always reminds me of the Viking death with weapon in hand to reach Valhalla. All his mates standing around smiling for him.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
When I first started smoking a pipe I jumped all around with trying different blends, usually 2-3 different blends a day. All this did for me was exhaust my palate, especially when I went from a latakia blend to a straight virginia or would fry my tongue with wet aromatics. I just could not pick up anything taste wise and I became quite discouraged.

At some point I switched to slowly smoking just one blend a day, and rotating it through different pipes throughout the week. Doing this really helped me identify the different nuances of the blend and how it related to different pipe shapes and how my smoking cadence affected the taste. I ended up experiencing all the smoking bliss that many of the members of this forum speak and finally felt like I was getting the most out of my tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.