PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks to the underground railroad, my supply of Germains Rich Dark Flake arrived at the Studio this morning. I'd been curious about this blend since hearing that it is a match for Stonehaven. So when the opportunity came to run the blockade, I took it.
The tobacco is a, well, rich dark flake. In appearance and feel, it is identical to Stonehaven. The aroma that wafted forth from the package was absolutely delicious! But GRDF's tin not is different from that of Stonehaven. Where Stonehaven reminds me of chocolate, raisins, a touch of fig, and a touch of hay, GRDF has a slightly savory component, more like chocolate, rum raisin, a touch of fig and a bit more hay. I'm not saying that there's rum in the topping, only that rum raisin is what came to mind. The scent is a little more complex than that of Stonehaven.
I prepped a small quantity in the same manner as I do Stonehaven, fine cube cutting, and left it on a ceramic plate to dry. I had enough for two bowls, and jarred up the rest. I find that letting the tobacco dry until it's just shy of bone dry yields the best result for me. In this case about 1 3/4 hours.
I drizzled the pieces into a Paul Tatum acorn, tamped it slightly, and fired it up. This tobacco delivered on flavor when smoked very slowly in tiny slow sips. The raisin, fig and hay notes were all there in the smoke as well as that slightly savory flavor that is not present in Stonehaven. That bit of savoriness works well as a counterpoint to the slight sweetness, adding a bit more dimension than I get with Stonehaven. The hay is a little more prominent as well in GRDF.
But, the flavor is so close that I would have thought that I was smoking Stonehaven in a blind taste test. A group 3 bowl lasted me almost an hour and a half. That gives you an idea regarding how slowly I was smoking this blend, coaxing out the flavors. It burned effortlessly. Like Stonehaven, it can get a little bitter if smoked too quickly, but does exceedingly well when simmered.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Shush Sablebrush. I don't want the world to know about this stuff :wink:

K

klause

This stuff was a revelation to me when I first tried it - been stocking up, very slowly, ever since.
Glad you enjoyed it, Sablebrush, and thanks for the write-up - you reminded me that I haven't smoked any of this for quite some time. I must rectify this!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Klaus,

They're definitely siblings. Another component they share is that overlay of molasses, or something that tastes like molasses. I was happy to have the opportunity to satisfy my curiosity, though the taxes make the Germains pretty expensive. I also enjoyed the notes on the pouches telling me that smoking leads to impotence and an early demise.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'll take your stash of Stonehaven when the Rich Dark Flake kills you. No need to thank me. I'm happy to help out. :D

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Thanks guys,

who shall I invoice for the order I just put in because of this thread?

owen

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the review Sable. I started smoking this a few weeks ago; I bought a couple of tins for a (US) friend, so added one for me. It's excellent, although everyone I got to smell the pouch thought the tin note was strong real ale. Not a note you're that used to in the US, but one pretty much everyone here would know from pubs. I've never had Stonehaven, but if it's similar to this - or better still, sweeter - then I'm goining to going to find me some of that blend!
Andy

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
tin note was strong real ale

I wonder if that suggests a treacle topping?
I really should avoid reading these threads. I can never find these blasted tobaccos and don't need the torture.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wonder if that suggests a treacle topping?
I think that's correct. Others have suggested that treacle is used in the topping of Stonehaven.
I'll take your stash of Stonehaven when the Rich Dark Flake kills you. No need to thank me. I'm happy to help out.
Jim, thank you for your generous offer. It's inspiring to know that my Stonehaven will go to a good home when I shuffle off this mortal coil. I seem to have missed Stonehaven's latest traverse of the colonies else I would be conducting Christmas in July for you and others as I did last November. Calls to various B&M's turned up zip.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Here is another interesting comparison from our buddy Arno over at the https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/germain-rich-dark-flake-vs-esoterica-stonehaven/
Arno agrees with you and Chris that the two tobaccos taste similar, but believes that Virginia drives the flavour in the RDF and that the Burley component drives the blend character in Stonehaven. Truthfully, that level of subtlety in flavour/nuance would probably be lost on me without multiple tastings of both blends over a long period of time.
EDIT -- mrenglish... AFAIK RDF is only available as a bulk.
-- Pat

K

klause

smoking leads to impotence
Ah! JAYSUS!
Oh! Well! There's always sacrifices to be made in life.........
.....now! Where's m'jar of RDF?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jesse, an interesting review, thank you. I have just got myself a tin of this and am smoking a bowl a day to get the feel of the blend before I feel able to determine whether it is for me. So far so good but as with most blends it does benefit from a period of airing.
I have never tried Stonehaven but have read much about it. By all accounts it is/was a revered tobacco.
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Jay,
Stonehaven is still around, for the short term, and is both revered and reviled.
While these two blends aren't exactly the same, they're so similar that smoking one is pretty much like smoking both. The treacle topping dominates enough to mask most of the differences. That "alcoholic" note in RDF is more like common ale than rum or other spirits. I still have almost all of the RDF that I got last year. I don't often smoke either blend. They're more of an occasional treat.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Jesse, I was of the understanding that Stonehaven was a discontinued line, obviously not. Either way it is not a blend I am ever likely to revere or revile as none of my usual UK stockists list it anyway.
Though I get a rum/scotch aroma from the tin of RDF I do not taste it in the smoke but I do taste treacle & molasses.
Give it a few more days and I might review it myself. I have a whole load of new to me blends that I am trialling at the moment...all good fun so long as I keep well away from latakia!
Just now enjoying a bowl of Elizabethan Mixture...lovely stuff :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Jay I believe Esoterica tobacco (Stonehaven, Penzance etc) is blended by Germains for the US market, which is why you won't find it in the UK I believe. Don't worry though even over here it's hard enough to come by. If RDF is readily available it sounds as if it's close enough.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Jesse, an interesting review, thank you. I have just got myself a tin of this and am smoking a bowl a day to get the feel of the blend before I feel able to determine whether it is for me. - Jay
I wonder when Germain started tinning their Rich Dark Flake? Mine came in a factory bag that a friend send to me. I just did a Google search and can't find the tinned version anywhere. Jay, are you sure it is Germain's Rich Dark Flake that you purchased?

Status
Not open for further replies.