PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Had my first experience with Georgetown Tobacco today. They are in one of the more popular neighborhoods in the nation's capital, and on that hood's busiest street to boot. Previously, to moving and switching mostly to a pipe, I was a regular at a tobacco shop in Bethesda MD (called JB Simms/Bethesda tobacco at the time) which didn't have the greatest pipe tobacco selection. I'd called around earlier to a couple places in D.C. to enquire after their selections and G-Town sounded like it best fit my needs.
They have a pretty good selection of tobaccos and a fantastic selection of pipes (estates looked tempting), in addition to the largest meerschaum pipe I have ever seen - It looked like it would take two to even lift it. Their tin selection was varied, with a pretty good assemblage of Mac Baren tins (what I was looking for at the time), but where they really seem to shine is their bulk blends.
In addition, the staff was pretty helpful, friendly, and chatty (secretly I tend to enjoy this the most at a tobacco shop) and even managed to talk me into buying another pipe (a Savinelli which came at a good price - it beat the internet anyway).
If you find yourself in D.C., this shop might be worth the trip (P.S. try their Reverie house blend)

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I was up there for a month in 2007. At the time I was just chewing tobacco, not smoking. They had a couple of cans on hand, luckily. (Not too many dippers in D.C. I guess). Anyway, the gents in the store asked how long I would be in town, how much I would need, and brand. Their next delivery had exactly what I needed. So when I went back for another month of work in 2012, I was now smoking a pipe. The gentleman in there kind of gave a a hip pocket class on pipe tobacco. They let me stick around to smoke, in the AC. It was a great experience. I recommend them. So if you are in the area stop in. They have lots of pipes to adore.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Quick question for those who've tried the house blends. I really like Reverie, and am anxious to try some of G-Town's other blends.
Any recommendations?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hmm, I live near DC and work in NOVA occasionally but I have yet to venture into Georgetown Tobacco. Sounds like I'll have to swing by one evening when I'm staying overnight.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
G-Town Tobacco has a second location in Old Town, Alexandria - haven't been to that one so I can't speak to it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
John Crouch is in Old Towne, I'm not sure if they are related to Georgetown. I wasn't too impressed with that "tourist trap" but they had a few interesting tins of tobacco. The clerk knew nothing about pipes. I think that is about it for shops in Old Towne. JB Hayes in Fair Oaks is a real pipe shop, and worth the trip outside the beltway.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
You are right. I THOUGHT I'd read something about G-Town expanding to a second location in old town, but I guess I was mistaken.
Irregardless of a second mythical location, the Georgetown shop is such a gem by itself, almost like stepping back in time to a bygone era of tobacco shops.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
GT used to have a second location at Tyson Corner, (not sure if it is still there). The downtaon location was awesome, Tysons not so much, but still very nice. JBH by far the best "Pipe Shop" to hang out in if you travel out to the Fairfax area. If you are lucky enough to go out when John is in, it's a blast!! There is also Old Virginia Tobacco at Baily's Crossroads.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
BTW,
A picture of my haul from the other day:
2013-04-16-184659-600x450.jpg

(HH dark Fired, McB Navy flake, Savinelli unfinished pipe, House Blend - Reverie)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never been to Georgetown Tobacco, though I used to get to D.C. several times a year for business.

Is it easily reached on the Metro? That's been my usual way around town. I don't drive in D.C. if I can

help it. If it's Metro accessible, which stop?
Oklansas, that is a gorgeous Savinelli unfinished pipe, just a beauty. I have two, a "second" billiard without the

Sav mark, and a fine Sav stamped bent Dublin/zulu. Yours looks like it has an oval stem; it has a sort of

Canadian shank and Dublin bowl. Pretty unusual, and yet traditional too. You just about can't beat that

light, easy-breathing bowl. If you can get an unfinished Savenelli in a good shape, do it. They mellow into

a sort of golden brown tone, the briar equivalent of a Meerschaum. I have an unfinished Cassano that

is a Calabash/Dublin cross, 1/4 bent, that is also acquiring a golden tone. But the Savs have that perfect

draw and those incredibly light weight briars.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
@mso489

Oklansas, that is a gorgeous Savinelli unfinished pipe, just a beauty.

I agree :) I've smoke two bowls in it so far, and its coloring fantastically. I had to really hunt through the basket for it, the guy at the counter kept telling me how he loved his, and that they might have one left...I got lucky.
Is it easily reached on the Metro?

Yes-ish. If you go to Foggy Bottom, you can walk to Washington (traffic) Circle, then over the bridge into Georgetown. It's right on the main drag (M Street). The walk takes about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on your gait.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for posting this thread Oklansas. I just won a Georgetown Tobacco house brand pipe among a group of estates in an e-bay auction. It looks like a nice bent apple, but we'll have to wait for the box opening to tell for sure. I'm finding very little aside from the Georgetown Tobacco website about their house pipes. Was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them... how they smoke, where the briar is from? I'll reach out to the store once the parcel arrives, but thought I'd pick the brain of the collective here first.
So... anyone got any stories to share about Georgetown Tobacco house pipes?
Cheers,
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had no idea they sold house branded pipes until a few months ago. My buddy offered me this Georgetown 9438, obviously made by GBD for them. I already have seven 9438's, so I passed.
If anyone else wants it, PM me and I'll pass on your contact info.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Beautiful grain on that Georgetown Al. Hope the one in the post comes in even close to that pretty.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.