PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well last May at the Chicago Pipe Show, I entered the slow smoke competition and did well enough that I got a prize! My prize was this pipe....
IMG_3704-1.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

At the time I thought it was a cheap pipe because not a lot of people showed too much interest in it. (The contestants got to pick out the prize that they wanted) So when I picked this one I thought it was a great looking pipe that was factory made in Saint-Claude France, and I decided to take it home with me. After owning this pipe for a few months I can say for certain that this is in the top 5 smokers that I own and it is a beautiful pipe as well. I did some research and came to realize that this isn't a cheap factory made pipe but a well made hand carved pipe! (And from what I can tell they aren't "cheap")
So does anyone else have one of these pipes? Or has anyone else ever heard of them?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Nice pipe. Bubba if I was at the show I would have won, My pipe goes all day. Now that's slow, Not one bowl but all day. :rofl:

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Thanks guys! I love this pipe and was just curious to know if anyone else had ever gotten one.
I contacted the company that makes these and I asked if they had any more info on the pipe. We will see what they say!

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Thats a good looking pipe! I might have to invest in one, if the price is right.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
ace!
so ur pipe goes all day lol well i gotta say mine is hardley ever cold hahahah worst of it is i hardley rotate. luv the brig and its one bowl full after another, i figured i was alone in that

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Genod was always regarded as a high end French pipe and seemed to be more prevalent 13 or 14 years ago when I started buying pipes. I know that I never considered buying one because they were too expensive. Always looked nice.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
http://www.smokingpipes.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=cat&category_id=88042596-3FF1-3EDE-52CB726475DE1204

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I have several Genods, and they puff very well. They are a sleeper in the US market, like many French brands. Your author is very pretty, and I have seen some beautiful examples in the hands of one of the members of Morley's, my pipe club. I have my eye on one of his in particular. Bob is quite the Francophile, especially when it comes to pipes.
hp

les

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
My friend picked up another genod from the winnings. I had bought a genod already earlier that day. For the past 4 years at least one person in the group I attend the chicago show with has bought at least one genod. We are big fans.
Mine:
photo-3.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokingpipes.com definitely has Genod in their new pipes selection. I am intrigued because your pipe looks so much

like a French pipe I own but branded a Vuillard, and I wonder if they are made by the same factory, just branded differently.

Mine has the same smooth finish, the same faux horn shank work, and the same cumberland stem. I think French pipes

are a tremendous bargain at most price levels. I think they make their profit in volume, but have an excellent ethic of

workmanship.

May 31, 2012
Genod makes a really nice affordable briar stem pipe, bonus points for no bowl coating, I have one and it has served me very well indeed, I like it very much, you can get one for around $90 new...
0719201301035.JPG

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Genod is one of the most venerable marques in the history of pipes. Top of the line quality and influential in design. The iconic Dunhill 120, perhaps the most famous shape in Dunhill's history, came about because of Alfred Dunhill's fascination with Genod's swans neck shape.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Love me a Genod. Great quality briar and well engineered - yet another under-rated French pipe marque. And that's quite some praise coming from an Englishman.
Andy

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
Thanks for this thread. I picked up a used P Viou which I learned is a Genod on ebay. I only purchased it because I wanted a bulldog. Love the shape and it was cool to add a French pipe to my very modest collection. It will sit proudly near a Ropp I just completed with the help of Mr. Meyers at Walker Pipe Repair.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
I did a mild restoration to the Paul Viou I recently purchased. I have not smoked it yet as I thought it should dry out a bit after the work. The work included an oxi clean and wax on the bite, a salt and alcohol cleaning, removal of chipped clear coat, tar removal, and a final waxing. I am pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.