macarthur-9-406x600.jpg

macarthur-5.jpg

macarthur-7-600x504.jpg

macarthur-8.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
McAuther was a piece of Shit! Left his troops high and dry and Booged out leaving Wainright high and dry, A close older friend of mine was on the Batan Death March, didn't have much good to say about him.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I love the photos of Gen. MacArthur and his obligatory pipe, but I agree with Bradley about the general's character.

I had a really good friend who was on the Bataan Death March as well. My friend loved and respected Gen. Wainwright, but had nothing good to say about MacArthur.

And, from reading about the Korean War, MacArthur didn’t do such a hot job of managing that operation until he was sacked for refusing to follow the orders of his president, Harry Truman.

My friend told me that you had to possess two things to survive Bataan: you had to be lucky and you had to be smart. If you had one but not the other, you died.

And, of course, you had to try to stay healthy. My friend had malaria, and somehow managed to make it through the march, being shipped out on a Japanese Hell Ship, and incarceration in a Japanese internment camp where he worked in a coal mine for almost two years.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Remember, the General was a smoker, not exclusively a piper. Cigarettes for sure and I believe cigars. He liked his tobacco.
Roosevelt wanted the General alive and functioning. McArthur wanted to stay. He obeyed Roosevelt's directive. After he started to believe all of his press coverage was when he turned a bit rogue and openly challenged his superiors. Certainly flawed, he ran a pretty damned good campaign to oust the Japanese.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
In my reading on WWII in the Pacific, I have developed an opinion that MacArthur didn't like to hear anything that didn't already fit into his conceptions about anything. Because of that he was surrounded by an enclave who would alter the intelligence they received to match what they though MacA wanted to hear. General Willoughby was reportedly infamous for this. Willoughby is also reportedly the one who kept underestimated the abilities of the North Korea Army and the for ignoring evidence that China was supporting North Korea in the early days of the Korean War.
MacArthur may have been brilliant (IMHO) but he was deeply flawed by his own arrogance.
I've also read recently that he really only pulled out the corn cob pipes for photo ops. He was a pipe and cigar smoker.
I am not a historian but I love reading biographies and history books from the War in the Pacific.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I am with the Old Cajun and tennsmoker he was a piece of crap. Ran away and let his troops pay. Nobody likes a coward and that is exactly what he was. If you ever find yourself alone on a boat at night running from the enemy, no matter who orders it, your a coward. Number one rule as a soldier, Never leave a fallen comrade. Col. Moore in Nam was ordered to the rear his answer was no. That is the correct answer. Civilians can think what they like, but every soldier despises a coward for very obvious reasons.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
It's his brain I want, not his body. Can't get one without the other. There's a big difference in fleeing in panic in the face of fire and following orders. I don't care about his heroism or lack there of. The General was worth alive than dead. It's the best use of assets, not the waste of assets. MacArthur was worthless dead, nothing to gain in letting him fight a lost battle.
General Moore was asked back to give a briefing, he refused so that he could direct the battle. He could see no value in leaving the battle. The President saw the value in getting MacArthur out. No comparison between the two situations.
Even Audie Murphy knew when to fight and when to run. I'd never doubt his courage.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
MacArthur was worthless dead, nothing to gain in letting him fight a lost battle.
That seemed to be the deciding factor. Also: there was no way they could prevail, so it would have been a fight to the death. They did not know of the horrors of Bataan until they happened.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
All soldiers despise a coward. He ran away from the men he was supposed to lead in battle and let them die or be captured. He was in charge, he set up the traing, he set up the battle plan, and HE ran away. To a civilian I guess that does not matter, to soldiers it matters more than anything else. And his brain, lol, not as important as you think. I can assure you there is always plenty of Generals around. Nothing special about him except he is a cowardly piece of shit and I am surprised his own men didn't make him disappear. Death before dishonor, unless your a General? Nope! At least Field Marshall Paulus had the balls to surrender and suffer the fate of his men.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
His brain and persona were important to his commander that's all that matters. The opinions of the troops were irrelevant as long as they fought. Their opinions have little value. I've been there, done that, got the ribbon and etc. The guys under fire have a perspective and the ones sending them to die have another.
It's all a matter of perspective. Are you facing the pointy end of the spear or sending the kids in.
Sure MacArthur was an egotist, most likely an insufferable person to many. The fact is he watched the Japanese sign the papers. We can call him what we want. Makes no difference as long as his strategy led to the capitulation of the Japanese. The only persons MacArthur had to impress was his boss, Marshall and Roosevelt.
He has his place in history and neither your nor my opinion about his manhood matter a fig.
Wasn't Paulus surprised and taken prisoner shortly after finding out Hitler had made him a Field Marshal in the hope that the General would commit suicide? A few days later the remnants of his army capitulated. I believe Paulus was miles away when the surrender occurred.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
After struggling against great odds to save the Philippines from Japanese conquest, U.S. General Douglas MacArthur abandons the island fortress of Corregidor under orders from President Franklin Roosevelt.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/macarthur-leaves-corregidor
I think this says it all. If you want a target for your rage, direct it at FDR. The troops there were doomed by virtue of facing a superior force and, it being right after Pearl Harbor, the peacetime army being unprepared. I realize the Great Sugar Daddy is a popular figure, but his was the decision. Compared to many Allied generals, MacArthur was a super-genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.