PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
This GBD chair leg stem has the gold embossed (?) symbol not the inlaid rondel. I oxyclean soaked one before and it ate the gold away; I don't want to do that again. Any suggestions or help is much appreciated.
photo-10.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hey, Greg:
Unless somebody has a better idea I'd do an experiment first. Grab an old stem and apply a small dollop of paint on it. After it dries, get a Q-tip and apply a slightly larger dollop of petroleum jelly and then try the Oxyclean bath.
Fnord

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks Fnord. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow. Any idea of how to put the gold back on the one I goofed already? LOL

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You can cover the logo with vaseline or similar. It is then a pain, but you just have to stay away from the logo when sanding/buffing. Some folks use white out to fill in a logo that is embossed/painted but I've never seen it done to my satisfaction. I usually just remove the logo at that point. That one looks like a brass rondell, are you sure it is not?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Al, unfortunately I'm sure it's not. It seems to be almost a gold leafing-type of thing. I have another GBD that *had* the same logo but its now uncolored. I thought about trying a metallic hold paint but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Thank you for your input though. Guess I will be heading out for some petroleum jelly tomorrow so I can get back to work on this one.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Greg:
Be sure and share a pix of the rest of the pipe, okay?
Al and I seem to be the GBD nerds on this forum. But, if you keep pulling out odd ones like this chair leg stem, then we'll let you be president of the club next week.
Cheers, buddy.
Fnord

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've never seen "gold" lettering on the GBS. Mine either have the brass rondelle or white paint for the logo. Some golf club supply places sell paint crayons for restoring club heads that have painted logos. Basically, you rubit on then wipe lightly so as to leave the paint in the embossed area and let it dry. There are many different colors so you may be able to find gold as well.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
First, thanks for all the help so far.
Second, after I took Fnord's test try suggestion I used Bag Balm to cover the logo and soaked it. After getting it cleaned up some I looked at it under magnification and it is brass afterall. The last one was gold, I thought, paint and I really thought this one was too. Maybe the last one was white that had yellowed with time/oxidation? Anyway, it's looking fairly good and I'm ready to go forward. For reference I thought I'd share this photo comparing the chair leg stem I originally posted about with the one that lost its color; the bottom one is hard to see I know.
Diptic.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ah-ha, I was right! Good one!

After seeing your comment, I thought darn, that one would have burned me on Ebay. Those older logos are very flush with the stem. Lets see the rest of it!

I picked up a tip on those chair-legs recently - get some auto plastic polish and use that on a cloth to get into those tight creases.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Yes, Al, you certainly were! And I'm glad you were; it was a much less tedious job being brass not paint. That auto polish is a great idea. What type did you use? I had some Novus 1 & 2 left over from my biker days and used it. It did a great job! I think I need the #3, too, though to be thorough.
I posted some photos and a link to the album in a new thread. Let me know what you all think.
I've not smoked it yet. In fact, I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or list it on briarbid yet. Originally I figured to sell it but it's kind of growing on me! :puffy:

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hi Greg, glad it worked out. I often use simple "Vasiline", to put on logos and inlays before soaking the stems in a bleach bath. It's really good protection, you can get it almost everywhere and it's pretty cheap. Good stuff.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
HI, Nic, and welcome aboard!
I didn't have any Vaseline on hand but the Bag Balm, which is very similar in consistency, worked well. This is a tip I'll definitely remember for future use!

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
To be fair, I have to attribute the tip about Vasiline from the reborn pipes website :) I had not know about it before sadly, as the stem of my estate Bent Egg Karl Erik can attest to ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.