PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I've been looking to add a plateau top to my GBD collection so when I seen this, I had to have it. It wasn't in bad shape compared to what I usually start with.
zSP86eol.jpg

6l8YWlJl.jpg

wHjHneNl.jpg

aIEx15Tl.jpg

sRJlUtUl.jpg

SDkf1Q1l.jpg

IOZvG41l.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's a nice looking smoker and you cleaned it up and finished it very nicely.

I don't know if it might look 'better' if you had no color finish on the high points of the plateau?

That seems to be how it was originally, as well.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I don't know if it might look 'better' if you had no color finish on the high points of the plateau?

That seems to be how it was originally, as well.
The plateau doesn't necessarily look altered to me (I could be mistaken). It looks more like the difference between unwaxed (the before shot) and post waxing (the after). As nice as the stain looked pre-resto, I wouldn't assume any tinting was done to achieve those stunning results. You would be surprised what a fresh coat of wax can do for the depth and richness of the finish.
You also want to take the difference in lighting into consideration when looking at the before and after shots. The ebay pictures give the pipe a "washed out" look, probably making the high points on the rim look lighter in color, while the "after" pictures have much more diffused lighting giving a truer representation of the finish.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I've dealt with similar issues restoring freehand style pipes. Most of the time the low areas on the Burl collect a lot of grime. That looks like the case here. Fine job of restoring, it looks beautiful.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Love that pipe. Just lost out an a GBD, not as nice as yours and definitively not a Prodigy. Per usual, great and fantastic result.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks fellas. @torque, you're right. When I received the pipe it didn't have a speck of wax on it. Looks like it was scrubbed off...

A fresh coat of wax makes the grain darker. My after shots are a bit dark as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.