PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks to forum member bonehed for the heads-up on this GBD Meerschaum. The pipe looks to be in great shape and the price too low to pass up. While not a collector of meers, the lattice carved, traditional shaped pipes have always been appealing to me. I gather this is made of African block and similar to the Peterson, Thompson and Pioneer meerschaums?
The pipe looks used very lightly.
Thanks again to Bonehed for the PM!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I see GBD Meerschaum pipes from time to time, but they are typically not carved and have the stamped stem logo, not the brass rondell. I'm curious to get this one in hand.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The ones I have all have metal screw-in on the stummel side on to which the stem slides. The stem itself is just drilled out. I suspect your pipe might be a higher grade than the usual offerings. The quality of the carving is much better than most I've seen and you seldom see GBD meerschaums cased. But you're in for a treat, African Meerschaum smokes very cool and mixtures that in a briar seem heavy will take on a much lighter quality. Enjoy. Dutch

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Nice score, that is a beauty for sure. I only had two african meerschaums in my hand and they were both rusticated and black. Sold one to a forum member and he loves it, the other I have smokes great. They sure are light.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The pipe arrived today and is in terrific shape - super clean, barely smoked.

While I can't recall seeing a brass-rondell stemmed GBD meerschaum, inexplicably, another one was listed today! Mine is in better shape and I like the shaping better than this example. I would suspect this pipe and mine are from the 1970's (NOT the 1940's as mentioned here).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252191561701?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Status
Not open for further replies.