P65Lxuwl.jpg

w9TmOjyl.jpg

Wr2NUuWl.jpg

SyBI5FGm.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Both this one and the Comoy's were worthy of your time. Beautiful job!

Dan, do you recall the most dramatic of your transformations? and can you share a link? or pics?

(not to say that they're not ALL like night and day)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Great job. I have a CDL Canadian that smokes better than my GBD Canadian. You don't see many of these but they are wonderful pipes. You really got the grain to pop on this one and that star is so very cool. Enjoy.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That's definitely the golden egg in that nest of estates you just picked up.
Nicely done. That's a classic shape, and wonderful grain.
Enjoy!
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
I absolutely love the City de Luxe pipes!
You did an absolute stunning job on the resto, it looks so good that I wouldn't be surprised to see it on eBay listed as an unsmoked new-old-stock example --- and the grain patterns are interesting too.
I got a couple of them and both a damn fine smokers.
I even bought an empty CdL box once because i thought it looked cool!
yjFiiAO.jpg

The Tuskan Lip was in production for a long time,

from 1933 to at least the mid/late 70's.
Some of the Tuskan Lip pipes have Pat. No. 414197 stamped onto the stem and that number can clue us in and help us find the original patent application papers which were writ in 1933.
It's neat how they say the center part can be made of ivory, bone, or similar material.
A brief passage:

"The present invention has for its object to remove or minimise the abovementioned objection and inconvenience by preventing or arresting such puncturing of the mouthpiece and, to this end, consists in providing the mouthpiece with an insertion composed of a material of comparative or sufficient hardness to resist the boring action of the teeth while not being subject to any deleterious action by the saliva; a material such as ivory, bone or the like has been found suitable but other materials having similar characteristics may be employed. "
It's an interesting document to read in full, and the fourth page has illustrations too.
See it here:

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=worldwide.espacenet.com&II=7&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=19340802&CC=GB&NR=414197A&KC=A
Click the -original document- link in the blue box on the left and it'll show you a pdf copy.
:puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Dave, That is another great restoration. Your pipe looks to be free of the large fills that often afflict City de Luxe pipes.
misterlowercase, Once more your mastery of the obscure has made my life better. I have a Tuskanlip City de Luxe, but I never knew if the the material in between the airway holes was supposed to be there. I also had no idea what material was used.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Dave, You're a machine, I couldn't hope in my best day to accomplish anything near the number of restorations you crank out with such apparent ease. Dutch

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks everyone. It was a fun cleanup. This one wasn't as bad as I usually start with. I might have 3 hours in it. Fortunately my job has a lot of down time on nightshift. I bring a refurb kit with me to work and do a lot of it there.
To answer some questions,
@newbroom, Probably the biggest change on average are the Dr Grabow's I've cleaned up. They drench their pipes in dark stain, and a lot of times, there is some beautiful grain hiding under it. (shameless plug) I have a youtube channel of some cleanups if anyone is interested. No to worry, no blathering, reviews, or YABO's, just pipes. :puffy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_IKfDgcIgpOfsIYoodS_Hg
@jpm, It is a natural finish without stain. I steamed some dents and did a little sanding, then finished it with pure carnauba wax. Meguiars Gold car wax for the stems. UV protection means no more oxidation.
@misterlowercase, thanks for the info and links. Very cool! I didn't know it was a ivory insert. Makes sense now. Tuscan Lip...
I've learned everything about refurbishing from the resto masters on the forums. I've asked ejames and joeman so many questions they should have charged consultant fees.
I was going to show a couple more pictures of the Tuscan Lip and pat# stamping, but the imgur website is down so I cant access my albums.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks! Look forward to more pics, and will check out Youtube in a bit.
I am guessing your pipe doesn't have the cherry wood liner as printed on the box that MLC (mlc) posted. (?) Never heard of cherry linings before, but then there are a lot of things I haven't heard of in the pipe realm.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Here are some pictures of the Tuskan Lip and stem stamping. The stem stamping was light to start with so I just worked around it to preserve it.
muAQUGgl.jpg

xVQXLzKm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.