PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Several of you sent me this Ebay auction and I appreciated the thoughfulness! I sold a Rad Davis earlier this week in hopes of making a play for this one. I thought it might go $200 but didn't really expect it to get to nearly $300.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371163311534?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true
I put in a last seconds bid of $156, which was quickly blown out. I just couldn't justify that kind of money given the condition of this one.
This one was a bit of puzzler. It has no visible grade stamping and the rest is quite worn. There is a big tooth mark on the button. The button is not shown clearly, but appears to be orific, so the date in the ad makes sense.
$_57.JPG

I suppose I should count my blessings at having grabbed this New Standard earlier in the summer at half that price. I was smoking this one as the final seconds ticked away, but it didn't bring me any luck.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Al, I have to agree, too much given the wear to the blast. Watched it also, the shape is obviously very aggressively sought after. The right one will come along...

K

klause

I feel your pain there, Al - that's a complete bummer.
Firm believer in things happening for a reason - in this case it's probably because there's a better condition, cheaper beauty with your name on it waiting for you stumble on it.
That's a great shape, by the way.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's interesting that two 9242's have been on Ebay in the past six months. I typically see one about every 12-16 months.

No loss here, it's always exciting to see the price spike like this one. I had no illusions that I'd win. Condition-wise, it probably wasn't worth the $150 I put in let alone double that. I have no idea how the one I bought in the summer went unnoticed. But, that auction did end on a Tuesday night and the vendor had no other pipe auctions. Power pipe sellers do prevail, like "colwright" with a 3000+ rating.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Ss I think the smooth 'moose you have showcases the delightfully sensuous shape of the 9242 far far better than does the rusticated version which to me looks like it just sort of melted and ran.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I put in just a little higher than you Al. I love the shape and prefer blasts, but over $200 just a little more than I cared for. Of course, I have one smooth 9242 and several 9438s. If I didn't have an example of GBDs chubby Rhodesian goodness, I could easily justify it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, here's the ficklen side of Ebay. This 9242 New Standard only brought $174 this afternoon, sold by a non-pipe vendor. I put in a last second 169.99 bid and immediately lost to a $174 final bid. I didn't need it, but at that price, this was a good investment. Restored and marketed correctly, it should bring close to $300 is my guess.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-GBD-New-Standard-9242-Bent-Rhodesian-With-Beautiful-Birdseye/261634030822?_trksid=p2052191.m2338
$_57.JPG

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Sometimes somebody really, really wants a particular pipe for no obvious reason. If they are willing to go deep for it they deserve to have it.

owen

May 28, 2014
There is a digby 9438 on line for sale a great shape indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.