PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I'm sorry I don't have pics yet, but hopefully will get some up later today. It's still dark here, and I'm not a good enough photographer to get them under artificial light.
I just bought a lot of pipes at a ridiculously embarrassingly low price, and found a few gems among the rubble. I have questions about several, but first this one.
It's a straightforward billiard marked "Gaylord's" in Old English script over "Imported Briar". It had a badly oxidized band, maybe even painted black, marked "Sterling Silver" and three imprints: a sideways anchor, a capital "T" in block type, and a lion rampant. The front of the bowl has metal inlaid initials "F S C"
A couple hours of googling brought me nothing. The Sterling markings seem to be consistent with Birmingham 1943. There is no pipe or tobacco shop or factory named Gaylord's in Britain or in the States.
Once I complete the morning's work, I'll put up some pictures. (I hear you, hobie!)
This was someone's well-loved friend. Can y'all shed a little light for me?

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Thanks, Sam. I doubt you would have sold this lot, as there were a couple of Sav seconds in there, along with a Statesman. All dirty and mostly stemless.

iwbiek

Lurker
Oct 13, 2013
Hey, I know this thread is a bit old, but I recently bought an estate Gaylord's pipe from eBay for less than $20, and it's the same with me: Google turns up nothing about this company.
The pipe is a straight, diamond-shank squat bulldog with a tapered vulcanite stem. The stem screws into the shank with a metal tenon, much like the old Dr. Grabow "Ajustomatic" system. Aside from a crack in the bowl that was, imo, impeccably repaired, it's cosmetically near-perfect, especially for a cheap estate pipe. I would say the bowl is small to medium-sized, and while I'm usually a big-bowl man (I love my Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker), I have to say it smokes like a dream. All-in-all, a quality everyday pipe, and a damn fine bargain. The only thing I hate about most estate pipes I buy from the US is that I have to smoke a few bowls of my English blends to cover up the ghost of everybody's nasty, nutty, saccharine burley blends. Yuck.
I'll try to post pictures later.

Status
Not open for further replies.