PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Ok, so I have some money burning a hole in my pocket (er, my PayPal) and the fine folks at P&C will be benefiting from this this problem very soon.
In browsing their site, I noticed this blend and it just looks interesting. Unfortunately, there's not a lot on tobaccoreviews about it so I'm curious if you gents have any opinions to share? I hear it's a hell of a nic kick, which got my attention and it's known to ghost. Any other info?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, I have never smoked this blend,but from reading the few reviews, it seems that this has the lakeland essence that many of the G&H flakes and S&G ropes and plugs share. If you are a fan of this style then try a couple of ounces and let us know. Are you trying to find something close to FVF?

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I broke in to my two ounces I picked up from P&C of this blend.
I have to say, if the Lakeland essence is a love/hate taste, you can put me in to the love it category. This blend is cut into pretty fine ribbon that is easy to pack and stays lit with no effort at all. Being a Gawith, of course it had to sit for a bit to dry some but the finer cut of the tobacco made for a relatively quick dry time to get the right feel.
The floral notes are noticable but very pleasant and maintained a good harmony with the flavors of the tobacco. Nothing I would call "soapy" but I guess I can see how others may feel this way. I'm not sure what exactly this blend is made up of, but it's smooth, not harsh, smokes great and for me is a winner. Looks like one I'll probably keep around.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I don't think I have tried a Lakeland blend yet; come to think of it I haven't tried a burley yet either. I'll have to check them out next time TAD hits me.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
If you've had 1792 flake, you have tried a Lakeland blend. The essences were put there to give the Gawith blends a different flavor than most blend produced at that time due to the restrictions of flavorings in English tobaccos.
-Jason

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
1792 is on my list to try and looks like I will have to add lakeland dark as well.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Mike was kind enough to send me a sample of Lakeland Dark. To be honest the first bowl I tried got dumped out after about 5 minutes. I decided to give it another shot today, and I'm glad I did. I can understand where the "soapy" descriptor comes from; the smells and tastes I'm getting I can only really recognize from soaps and body products. I can't put my finger on exactly what I am tasting; maybe lavender or rose. It is a nice change of pace, but will probably be something I will only smoke occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.