PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Been puffing on this all day. A little bit goes a long way. Nice, lingering flavor, once the old lady dies and the perfume stops:
Summary: strong dark-fired and air-cured tobaccos balance each other for a rich, earthy smoke with hints of nuttiness.
Although this is the "Unscented" version, it still bears a fair amount of the flowery Lakeland perfume which is either sprayed indiscriminately around the factory or used as a casing. Unwrapping this dark chocolate-colored flake reveals the "Malawi Dark Fired Leaf and Indian dark air-cured leaf" pressed on each other in layers. The resulting flavor is both warm and smoky, with a rich nuttiness and faint sweetness in aftertaste, making for a good extended smoke especially with red wine or black tea.
Thanks to Pipes Magazine forum member "Cosmic" for this sample.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/562#review86048
Cosmic sent me, as detailed here, a honkin' generous sample. I'll be happily smoking this for months to come.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Yes, but it burns off quickly -- probably on the outside of this flake. Not like the Conniston Cut Plug "Unscented" I got which was drenched in it. Could smell it two rooms away. I had to box it twice and hide it under the bathroom sink.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Interesting! I'm getting more interested in flakes / ropes / plugs. Keep the reviews coming.

well, it's at least older than the factory move, so at least it doesn't play into that speculation. I'm glad that you're enjoying it. I love the stuff, especially as the weather warms up. I like it with a robust cup of coffee in the evenings, when I would be torn between a pipe and a good dark cigar.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's a lovely smoke: rich, fine and full. I shudder at the thought of a Full Lakeland, but apparently some enjoy it.
@beastinview:

Same here. I find the plugs, ropes and flakes often a bit more intense and designed for the tobacco maniac, as well as often the nicotine maniac...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cotton Boll Twist
Excellent suggestion.
You mentioned one of my favorites. I only bought one rope back in the day, and immediately kicked myself for not buying the ten-pack.
This is a nice, strong Burley. Tastes like outside. Nutty on the edge of peaty. Glorious with a pint of stout.
I end up mixing in about 10-30% Hal O' The Wynd which sweetens it and seems to enhance the kick. I can smoke this mix all day. I hope that's not heresy but the flavors complement each other wonderfully.
Right now, I'm smoking a compensation mix for that, which sadly ran out. It's mostly C&D Dark Burley, with finely chopped Brown No. 4, and a flavoring of Straight Grain Flake.
But if you know where I can find Cotton Boll Twist in bulk... it's excellent!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
AFAIK, GH stayed in their facility and SG moved into that facility. So it's SG blends that will be termed pre- or post-merger. Not GH blends.
lilbrown.com sells 12 packs and 144 packs of Cotton Boll.

Unfortunately, no one will ship Cotton Boll into Alabama, so I have to get a third person involved when I buy it. I have about ten twists in jars, which will probably last me a long time, as I only smoke a strong blend once at night, and I like to alternate between options. But, when I do smoke it, I find that strong burleys taste best in my monster sized bowls, really opening up the flavors for me.
You're right ericusrex, I am just getting feeble minded. :puffy:

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Love both un- and scented... the scented reminds me of this violet gum.

gumbig.jpg

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I got a couple ounces of this as well. I like it. Definitely full and meaty. I don't know if it's a trace of Lakeland or just the tobacco flavors, but it has kind of a nice, fragrant taste. Satisfying, for sure.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Funny, I remember that gum from my high schools days---

not that I liked it or chewed it, just that lots of kids seemed to love it, and the smell was always strong.
I love DF unscented, and recently discovered SG Lakeland Dark. Talk about a manly tobacco... this one will burn the hair off your chest. It's a beautiful black stringy flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.